Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keithdw
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Problems with BT Broadband and BT Suppoprt

Go to solution

Brfore I start, I want to get one thing off my chest... this is a bit of a rant, so apologies up front... but... I've worked in IT for 20 years. I have held or still hold a combination of CCNA and CCNP, Microsoft, CISSP and other qualifications, and currently work for a majpor global ISV... It seems support people within BT and NetGear, and possibly other companies, simply dont beleive you and try to tell you nonsense, or give you daft suggestions... today it was NetGear telling me that their D7800 router could not work as an AP, and BT telling me that the HH4 could not cope with more than 4 connected devices at any one time... ARGH!!! Give me strength. Why??? /rantoff

Anyway, my problem. 9 months ago this community helped me get our broadband moved onto ADLS2+, which instantly gave us 19Mb downloads and brought us into the nearly the 21st century. IO was suprt greatfiul. To the point I would help comment on other issues to try and help.So, I am hoping you can help again.

About 10 days ago, everything went wrong. My expensive NetGear d7800 router could no longer find a Broadband signal on the incoming BT cable. I plugged in the HH4 and it worked, albeit slower, and with less functions and control, but I was online, an d getting 10-14Mb download. I assumed something had fried the modem in the d7800, so I applied to NetGear for a replacement. Which they refused.

Everything was fine, with the occasional dropped conenection, with the HH4 until Friday. When BT decided to update it. Not sure what they updated it to, but it tells me it was updated on the 19th August.

Since thenm, its dropped the connection every 5 minutes, and when up, given about 5Mb down. I called BT. Sat on the phone for 3 hours. No problems found. No issues. Apparently I have too many devices connected at once. Hmm... no, I've had 15+ and its run at 17Mb. And in any case, how many families these days have only 4 connected devices?? With everthing on, I could easily go past 20...

Lonmg conversation with BT entails and I am getting a new HH4 in aq few days... but that doesn't really work for me. I need the internet for work.

So I plugged the NetGear back in, and low and behold, it connects. At 17Mb, but has a stupidly high SNR at 15.4dB. Ok, I can cope with that because it's probably due to the connection being dropped and BT's network and banded profiles. So, I'm currently sitting here watching the router, hoping it won't drop the connection, so the SNR might drop and we might get some sensible bandwidth out of broadband.

No such luck. It's still dropping 2-3 times per hour.

What's weirder still is Facebook works for my wife, but she cannot connect to Boden, but can connect to Joules... I know, 1st world problems, but if she can't browse these sites, I get it in the ear!!!!!!

So... looking to you guys for some help... this is utterly appalling... my biggest annoyance is that I have just renewed the contract, although if I'm arsey enough about it I'm probably within my 14 day cooling off period. I could go elsewhere, but the only options are PlusNet or Sky, one is owned by BT, the other by Murdoch!!!!

Help, please...!!

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
keithdw
Contributor
Message 2 of 21

Re: Problems with BT Broadband and BT Suppoprt

Go to solution

The problems seem to be linked to DHCP renewals - every single time the broadband goes down, I get a different IP address in a completely different range. Some work well, like this one, in the 88.x.x.x range, but the previous one, in the 31.x.x.x range showed as connected but did not provide any throughput, and was trying to use DNS servers that are not configured (I have manually configured OpenDNS which works a treat (usually) but the 31 address was trying to use BT DNS servers.

Whenever I configure the router to use DHCP assigned DNS servers, I get absolutely nothing.

Is there an actual fault somewhere???

0 Ratings
keithdw
Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

P.S. I appear to have succesfully raise a fault, that is being checked... can anyone get details on WHAT is being checked? Is there an actual problem with my Broadband - I was specifically told there wasn't, but that the HH4 might be faulty and need replaced.

Given I'm experiencing almost identicalt behaviour with both routers, I suspect there is nothing wrong with either.

P.P.S. I'm aware I should leave the connection up as long as possible so that the IP profile can settle - but if the connection is going doing of its own accord, my changing routers is not really going to make any additional difference...

Fault no: VOL051-**********

0 Ratings
keithdw
Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

You know the most bizarre thing about this entire episode??

I have three laptops sitting next to each other.

All are physically connected to the switch on the D7800 router.

I cannot get to the same web pages on each:

Laptop1 - connects to Amazon, Facebook, BT.com, but not Joules or Commnity.bt.com!!!

Laptop2 - connects to Community.bt.com, but not Amazon, Facebook or BT.com!!!

Laptop3 - No Amazon, but Next works, Facebook but not Twitter!!!

To say I am now completely confused is a understatement. I'm also getting annoyed. This stuff shouldn't happen.

BTW, broadband connection dropped 6 times during the night... so no improvements in my banding.

Can someone do a complete reset on my line????

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

@keithdw I'm sorry to see you're having connection problems, I appreciate the inconvenience this must be causing you. It sounds like there could be two problems here. Can you try connecting your router directly to the test socket to see if this helps with the dropping connections?

test socket.jpg

With regards to the laptops not being able to connect to the same sites does this happen if you connect using the Home Hub as it may a problem with the settings on your Netgear? 

0 Ratings
keithdw
Contributor
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

Hi NeilO, thanks for the response.

I've factory reset the NetGear, and it wasn't doing this last week... and I've just set the configuration as per:

ADSL(ATM) - Auto (auto selects the ADSL version available)

VC-BASED

VPI 0

VCI 38

PPoA

All the rest at defaults.

The HH4 will not connect to the broadband at all.

The NetGear is plugged into the test port just now, and there is no difference in either performance, stability or access to sites.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

is there any noise on quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone from test socket

everytime your internet drops and reconnects it is normal to get a different ip address on residential line.  your ip profile is a function of your connection speed so everytime your conenction speed changes your profile which is 88.2% of connection speed will change

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
keithdw
Contributor
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Perfectly silent during quiet line test.

The connection does seem more stable on the test socket, but it has dropped, and I am not getting access to certain websites still. Funnier still though, my work VPNM connects, and everything except Outlook connects within it.

I'm aware of the change of IP on reconnection, the point I was making was that some appear to present different behaviours from others. I would expect them all to be the same.,

0 Ratings
keithdw
Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

The really daft thing is I'm getting better upstream and downstream speeds than I've EVER had...!!!

Routing looks to be fine, DNS too... but there is something very screwy going on somewhere... because although I can post to this site, I cannot upload the image of the router statistics.

DSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed20.12 Mbps1.10 Mbps
Line Attenuation28.80 dB13.30 dB
Noise Margin2.90 dB6.00 dB
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

this may help with image  https://community.bt.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images#images

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings