Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keithdw
Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: Problems with BT Broadband and BT Suppoprt

Go to solution

Unfortunately not... the page doesn't render completely. This is similar to what i'm finding on many website... e.g. Amazon, will open the front page, but images do not render properly, and links either are nmot available or open a blank page.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution

have you tried a different browser?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
keithdw
Contributor
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution

yeah, Safari, IE 9 and 10, Edge, Firefox and Chrome all behave similarly... I cant download newer versions of either Chrome or Firefox.

Im going to try resetting the routers and NOT using the Smart Setup wizards... but failing that, I'm going to need some help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

ok post back after reset

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
keithdw
Contributor
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution

Ok, so I've reset the HH4 to factory settings, booted it up, turned off Smart Setup and it works. Everything appears to work.

What is Smart Setup????

Is the NetGear Genie Smart Setup Wizard doing something similar????

Going to go and do some deeper testing....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

the bt page about smart setup  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

0 Ratings
keithdw
Contributor
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution

But what does it do? What changes does it make on the devices?

It's clearly prevented 6 devices and 2 phones from connecting to the network correctly for the past 48 hours. I turn it off and, quite literally, EVERYTHING is back as it was on Thursday / Friday / Saturday of last week... except I've got angry with at least 2 support people in large organisations, escalated their 'incompetence' and have at least 1 new router in the post as a result.

It also doesn't explain why the NetGear, which was working fine suddenly stopped working and started behaving like the HH4.

Unless... The issues appear to have been name resolution related, other than the drops which may still be happening. Is Smart Setup adding 'connection specific DNS suffixes' and could they be interfeering with normal DNS resolution...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 21

Go to solution

It requires a login in and then encourages you to set up your extras like bt help and parental control. This happens with every device. 

It it does cause a lot of problem as shown by the numbe of times posts advising to turn off smart setup solves the connection problems

keithdw
Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

Ok, thanks imjolly.. i'll mark this as an accepted solution...

I would be keen to get my NetGear router in use, though, as it has more features and is more robust...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

Check MYBT that parental controls have not been activated. If they have then turning off is not good enough you need to uninstall them. That would affect your connection regardless of router

0 Ratings