Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrews1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Problems with Broadband speed and connection despite 2 visits by engineer

Go to solution

Hi
Firstly apologies for the length of this message! I wanted to report the facts as best as I could.
I wonder if anyone can advise.

2 weeks ago we suddenly experienced problems with our broadband connection. It kept dropping connection and the speed became very variable.
We live in a rural area and are at the end of the connection from the nearest cabinet. So we are used to have BB speeds sub 1mb.

On the day the BB problems started we noticed up the road that Open Reach were at work.
Because our problem was a noticeable reduction in service I contacted BT and they did a line test and said there was a fault on the line.

An engineer came out very quickly - and went up the pole outside our house - and before he went he told us that there had been a problem with water in the connection on the pole. And that he had fixed this.
Later that day things were no better - so I reported this again to BT.

The following morning the engineer rang us and asked if we still had problems and again came to visit.
He then spent a long time running tests inside our house and was able to observer the line dropping and the problems we were having. I also mentioned that we had issues that whenever the phone rang it was cutting off the internet.
The engineer decided to come out the next day because he wanted to go up the pole again and check the connections.

At the end of his visit he explained to us in some detail what the real problem was.

When he tested the connection between the pole outside our house and the next one on towards the exchange - approx 450 metres away (which partly goes underground) - he found that there was a difference in quality of reception to our pole and the other one.

What he also told us was that up our pole there was a problem because not all the connections were useable and he had moved us to the last one. Basically that some of the wiring between the two poles was not functioning.
He said if he could have done he would have borrowed a piece of equipment to run along the underground cable to find the fault. But he wasn't allowed to by his boss.

He also said that there was every chance we would continue to get broadband problems until the cabling was fixed.

Now we are too far away from the nearest cabinet to get Fibre - even though it is connected there.
But Open Reach would be unlikely to fix the underground wiring until they put fibre in - and that won't be for a while!
We were really grateful for the info.
Also when he left we were starting to see normal broadband speeds again and if anything slightly faster!
That was last Tuesday.

On Saturday though suddenly the problem started again. Not so much the line dropping though it did a couple of times. But more the fact that the broadband was so slow as to be unuseable.

The engineer had told us very clearly that if we had more problems we should report it as a broadband fault. And that he had sent  a detailed report of what he told us.

Yesterday I decided to report this to BT.

They did all the usual checks etc and said there was no fault on the line.

Ran the speedtester with them and I was told that the speed we were getting was within the service agreement.
I then spoke to another adviser who sent me a link to changing the settings on the router (we have the smart hub 6) and to monitor our broadband for 24 hours.

Now I knew this was nonsense because the engineer had talked to us about our Hub and tested everything and it was fine.
So I just left it! Not much point in continuing!

Now this is what the Wholesale speedtester shows we are getting

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.13 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1.09 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps

So we are stuck!

We know our broadband is not working properly and that we are getting a far worse service than when the problems first started two weeks ago

But the advisors at BT essentially didn't take any notice!

My wife and I work from home and broadband is essential to us!

best

Andrew

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Problems with Broadband speed and connection despite 2 visits by engineer

Go to solution
Your disconnections have caused your IP profile to drop if you can maintain a stable connection for 3/5 days your IP Profile will rise automatically and your speed will increase again
Andrews1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks John
Yesterday the BT advisor told me to reset the factory default so I guess I am starting from then!
Little strange that when the engineer left all was Ok but then over the weekend the speed completely deteriorated

Andrew

0 Ratings
Andrews1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

John
The BT advisor said to change channels on the Smart Hub
Since the engineer checked the home-hub on his visit and didnlt suggest this - am I right to leave well alone?

Andrew

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution
changing channel will not do anything at all
just leave the hub alone and providing the connection remains stable 24/7 for the next 3/5 days it will rise automatically
0 Ratings
fredpnath
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

I've been through all this. Last time on a chat with a BT advisor called 'Abdul' he suggested I change provider. That's how good BT is! 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
totally irrelevant to the posters problem
0 Ratings
Andrews1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @john46 Thanks for your support by the way much appreciated.
Followed your instructions and not touched the router!

Very slow internet all day today.
Twice the router has turned itself off!
So not sure what to do re the 4/5 day test?
As a matter of interest our neighbour who shares the same pole is not experiencing the same problems and has told us he gets good download speeds (well good for our part of the countryside.)

Any thoughts?

Also any use sending the Router log?

Andrew

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution
yes please post the helpdesk page from your hub
Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
Andrews1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Hi John
Yes I ran the quiet line test yesterday and there was no noise.
The log is 6 pages long just for today!
Can I send it as a file?
I can't see an upload facility here..

Strangely enough since the router reset itself last - things have speeded up. 

Best

Andrew

0 Ratings