cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Purple light of doom - alternatives to smarthub

Go to solution

Yesterday I woke up to the purple light of doom. I've tried rebooting / factory reset makes no difference. Replaced the micro filter. I have a phone on order to check the line and also a replacement rj11 to see if it is that. Can anyone recommend a cheap alternative to the smart hub 2? I would also like to rule out the hub being defective. Thank you. I'm slightly panicking at the moment as working remotely and my mobile data is not going to last much longer.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Purple light of doom - alternatives to smarthub

Go to solution

@hostofive 

What broadband package do you have, I assume ADSL as its the ADSL board you have posted on?

The 

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html#specifications

Costs about £40 and can normally be obtained from Argos.

It will work, provided you are not on an Ultrafast (G.Fast) connection.

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you.

Huh, I thought I had adsl because that was the last contract I signed with BT. Seems they've moved me over to something called Fibre 1. Must admit I haven't really noticed a speed change and no engineer called at my house to change the box as they did the time I got infinity in a previous property. Will pick up that router. Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@hostofive wrote:

Thank you.

Huh, I thought I had adsl because that was the last contract I signed with BT. Seems they've moved me over to something called Fibre 1. Must admit I haven't really noticed a speed change and no engineer called at my house to change the box as they did the time I got infinity in a previous property. Will pick up that router. Thanks for your help.

A check for dial tone is important, as if you do not get dial tone, there would be no broadband.

The TP Link router is easy to setup as it has a setup wizard. 

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you!

I've managed to set up the new modem router and everything (touch wood) seems to be working ok. Smarthub must be defective because I checked everything else - there was no noise on the line, new filter and cable but purple light of doom remained.

Suppose I need to get in touch with BT about a replacement. Thanks a lot for your help, once again.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@hostofive wrote:

Thank you!

I've managed to set up the new modem router and everything (touch wood) seems to be working ok. Smarthub must be defective because I checked everything else - there was no noise on the line, new filter and cable but purple light of doom remained.

Suppose I need to get in touch with BT about a replacement. Thanks a lot for your help, once again.

You may find that you prefer the TP Link, as it has lots of extra features like bandwidth controls, and a user configurable firewall. It also has less of a tendency to disconnect at random, and cannot be remote controlled by BT.

0 Ratings