cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SonicHawk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Random answers from BT when asked about outages

I wonder why BT seem to come up with random suggestions when contacted for help with outages?

Currently assisting a friend with complete loss of broadband, and we were told Openreach have put a 'cease' on the line. Hovever, voice phone still works. Then we were told there's a fault at the exchange and that it should be resolved by the end of the day (Monday). An engineer has visited today (Tues), saying the line's ok. The call centre said we'd need a new phone number, to circumvent the 'cease'. Now, I've been told there's a fault at the exchange and that it should be resolved by the end of the day (Tues).

Basically, they seem clueless.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Random answers from BT when asked about outages

In many cases, they do not have the information needed to diagnose the fault, so its a case of picking one of a number of possible answers.

As you have posted on the ADSL board, I assume your friend has an ADSL connection from BT.

ADSL comes from the exchange, so that if the phone is working, then it has to be an issue with the broadband port in the exchange, or a problem with the home hub.

The new number issue is not relevant in this case.

The BT Service status website will usually give an idea if its an exchange mux issue.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

They just roll a dice to pick the excuse to give.

SonicHawk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

In many cases, they do not have the information needed to diagnose the fault, so its a case of picking one of a number of possible answers.

As you have posted on the ADSL board, I assume your friend has an ADSL connection from BT.

Yeah, ADSL from BT.

When the 0800 800150 folks go through all that 'line check' palaver, I assumed they were actually analysing the situation and giving the resultant data analysis -- an assessment based on hard facts that they had just assertained.

Was I just being laughably gullible?

@licquorice wrote:

They just roll a dice to pick the excuse to give.

Oh, such cynicism 🙂 .... but I'm tempted to mark this as my accepted answer!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

for future reference the broadband help line is 0800114567 not 150 that is a general sales and information number you can also use the broadband status line on 08001690199or this web page https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do;jsessionid=0X7GVLnXC3zNTnPxDfpnMh...
0 Ratings
SonicHawk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Re: the last post, the Broadband 'help' number is actually 0800 111 4567 ... however, it seems to connect to the same call centre with the same kind of people as the 150 version.

Yesterday, line tests were done actually on the property, by a BT engineer ... who said the line's OK but that there is a 'cease' on the account. Currently on hold while a line test is being done, and the 'helper' has said there is no cease on the account.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

150 just put you over to the help desk
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

151, 150 and 08001114567 all take you into the BT portal with the same menu choices.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
YourEIN
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

A 'cease' on the line means that a service provider has been told that a customer is coming to BT so they arrange a cease of service. With a cease on the line, there can be a delay if:
1. Customer wants to take over the number on the line. Will have to wait till the cease 'completes' to place an order
2. Customer wants to port their number to this line - will have to wait for cease to complete before placing order.

Customer can call losing service provider to get them to remove the cease though.

Also, a way around a cease is to place customer an order on a new account, with a new line (although this can sometimes be subject to a line connection fee of up to £130). This may be why they offered you a different number.

A Stopped line can be taken over within 24 hours for phone service. A stopped line is what a cease line becomes when the cease has completed.

An error at the exchange may be that the losing provider has requested a removal of the cease so BT can take over the line quicker, but for some reason their is an exception in Openreach systems and as such they have not been able to get an engineer to the exchange to do whatever they do.

Doesn't sound lie you have been fobbed off, but it does sound like the advisors you have spoken to have been too vague and tried to simplify their answers to what has gone wrong, to the point where that have said the wrong things.
===========================================

1. Is hub in the right 'hole'? If you have a '2-hole' socket, put the ADSL cable into the small square hole...
2. Make sure you are connecting to the correct 'SSID' e.g. BTHub6-1234
3. If you 'work from home', use a business line, not a residential line.
0 Ratings
YourEIN
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Agreed about the numbers taking you to the same automated system. However, the number 0800 111 4567 asks you for your telephone number, or to confirm the number you are calling from is the one you want to speak about. If you do NOT confirm your number, nor put your number in you DO get through to their Technical Help Department...
===========================================

1. Is hub in the right 'hole'? If you have a '2-hole' socket, put the ADSL cable into the small square hole...
2. Make sure you are connecting to the correct 'SSID' e.g. BTHub6-1234
3. If you 'work from home', use a business line, not a residential line.
0 Ratings