cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 57

Re: Random very long ping times for random lengths of time

I will ask the forum mods to help you they should post a contact link back here once they read your post
0 Ratings
ksaro1
Contributor
Message 12 of 57

I will ask the forum mods to help you they should post a contact link back here once they read your post

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 57

the mods will post here tommorow morning now
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 57

Hi ksaro1,

Thanks for posting. We’ll certainly need to take a closer look at this for you. Can you please send over the details? You’ll get the contact the mods link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
ksaro1
Contributor
Message 15 of 57

OK, the latest update is that a BT person (engineer?) spoke to me yesterday and arranged to have a BT Hub 3 shipped to me to test and see if my Netgear router is the cause of the issue. So I await delivery in the next day or 2.

Meanwhile this entire afternoon and early evening has been very slow on my line...< I've had many attempts to fill in this page due to timeouts>

During this period of slooow speed I've tried to run the speed test, with varying success, which I include below < I still can't get my actual port on the exchange details via the advanced test, as it keeps reporting an error getting my details from the server>

BTW Performance Test 3.png

BTW Performance Test 4.png

BTW Performance Test 5.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 57

all you can do is keep trying the further diagnostic test it does sometimes play up giving that error message
0 Ratings
ksaro1
Contributor
Message 17 of 57

I received a BT Hub Swap Box yesterday and replaced my Netgear D6200 router/modem with it. So far so good!

I've yet to have an incident of slow speed/long ping times. And in fact the ping tests show slightly faster pings. So it is looking likely that the cause of my issues could well be the Netgear router.

I plan to leave things as-is for a few days and see if the good performance remains. If it does, I will then swap back the Netgear router and see if the poor performance returns. If the poor performance does return  then that pretty much proves that the Netgear router is the cause of the issue and I'll close this post as resolved.

If there are any experts on Netgear routers out there, perhaps they can tell me how to see any H/W failure messages on the router. The log just shows traffic messages.

I have been using this particular router because it supports dual-band WiFi, which can improve the home network performance. But that's no use if the internet speed is unusable. However, this router has been working well for several years now. So my guess is it has developed a fault, which I would have hoped that there were some logs somewhere to indicate this.

0 Ratings
ksaro1
Contributor
Message 18 of 57

***SIGH*** Sod's Law...as soon as I posted that all is well my internet connection became slow... Pings were about 1000ms.

See the router stats below, should there be that many errors under normal conditions?

BT Home Hub Manager   Line Status 1.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 57

The latency need to be set to interleaving, to allow correction of most of the CRC errors you are getting. The CRC errors force a re-transmission, which will slow down any response.

0 Ratings
ksaro1
Contributor
Message 20 of 57

How do I set the latency to interleavng?

0 Ratings