cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 57

Re: Random very long ping times for random lengths of time

Contention would not cause this. Its most likely electrical interference, central heating thermostats are the usual cause in the evening, and will also interfere with medium wave radio reception. They show up a a load rasping noise which gets steadily louder, the suddenly stops.

ksaro1
Contributor
Message 32 of 57

Lol.. finding a portable radio in this digital age will be a challenge...I'll try and rustle up a radio though and tune in 612 MW

I have a wireless thermostat in the same room as the router. This communicates to a control unit in the back of my house. This has been in place for several years now.

See stats below from the BT Hub when the ping was low...Oddly the SNR and attenuation values are the same now and the pings are fine. However, the SNR can be as high as 7dB for the download. I've not seen it <4 before. Also the download attenuation is more normally 46dB.

BT Home Hub Manager   Line Status 2.png

Can I reset the error counts?

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 57

The error counts would be reset when the router disconnects and then reconnects with the exchange (a power cycle/warm restart of the router would do the same). However, for just 1 day of connection, that is a very high number of CRC/HEC errors and I'm surprised DLM hasn't intervened already to impose Interleaving on your line to stabilise it. An excellent line on fastpath would ideally have far less CRC/HEC errors, but it sounds like the line might be bad quality, as seen by how high the numbers are.

Your downstream noise margin is also too low on ADSL Max, the norm for ADSL Max is usually 6db (it might be ADSL Max on a 21cn system, which might explain the lower-than-norm noise margin there) and that is probably increasing your error counts exponentially. If the noise margin drops too much, your connection is liable to reset as the errors increase.

The thermostat you mention may be the cause of the problem. Definitely need to find a portable radio and tune to 612 MW and see if that gives any results, it may explain the very high error counts.

0 Ratings
ksaro1
Contributor
Message 34 of 57

Odd one tonight..

C:\Users\ruth>tracert 216.58.208.35

Tracing route to lhr08s07-in-f3.1e100.net [216.58.208.35]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms BThomehub.home [192.168.1.254]
2 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms 217.47.186.250
3 11 ms 11 ms 12 ms 217.47.186.193
4 22 ms 21 ms 22 ms 213.1.69.78
5 19 ms 19 ms 18 ms 31.55.165.102
6 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms 31.55.165.49
7 21 ms 22 ms 22 ms 31.55.165.107
8 79 ms 19 ms 21 ms acc1-10GigE-1-3-0.mr.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.250.86]
9 27 ms 25 ms 24 ms 109.159.250.148
10 30 ms 30 ms 29 ms peer5-te-0-9-0-12.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.252.55]
11 26 ms 25 ms 25 ms 109.159.253.67
12 28 ms 27 ms 26 ms 209.85.244.184
13 28 ms 27 ms 27 ms 216.239.51.235
14 29 ms 30 ms 30 ms lhr08s07-in-f3.1e100.net [216.58.208.35]

All looks good... But routere is showing...

BT Home Hub Manager   Line Status 3.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 57

With the downstream SNR that low, now may be a good idea to do a restart and see if the DLM re-adjusts the speed to keep a 6dB margin, which may help to reduce the CRC errors. You may lose a bit of speed, but it should be more stable.

SNR does tend to drop in the evening due to interference from street lights, and at this time of the year, Chrismas tree lights.

Many of the newer multi function lights now use switched mode power supplies which can radiate quite a lot of interference.

Its unlikely its your own thermostat, as it tends to be the older Thorn or Potterton gas boilers with their thermostat switching the gas valve. They generate interference about every 20 minutes, which can last for about a minute at a time.

ksaro1
Contributor
Message 36 of 57

At SNR showing ❤️ dB I restarted the router. It then reported the following:

BT Home Hub Manager   Line Status 4.png

However, periods of slow speed followed by normal speeds continue.

I live in a rural location. I am about 4Km from the exchange. The route to the exchange is about 1/2 along rural roads with no houses near the road, then the other 1/2 is through the local village. There are no Xmas lights. But there is some road lighting.

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 57

With the noise margin now at 6db, monitor the CRC/HEC events. Ideally, those should remain very low for an hour or two of connection time, if these rise rapidly within an hour or two, it will show that there is a source of noise entering the line somewhere.

From your attenuation, you are about 3.5km from the exchange. If you could, run the following speed tester when the speed is good and when the speed goes bad. When the first test completes, click the 'Further Diagnostics' button. In the ADSL/Fibre to the cabinet box, enter your phone number and run the second test. When second test completes, post the results (don't post results from the first test). Note that this test MUST be done with a wired connection: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

0 Ratings
ksaro1
Contributor
Message 38 of 57

@SuperSajuuk - I am posting some details now, as this is the first that I've been able to check my Internet connection. I'll post the speed test results of a period of poor speed when it occurs. [From tests I ran last night I can assume I'll see download speeds <2Mb and ping >100ms]

Firstly, I am using a Windows 10 PC with an ethernet connection to port 1 on the BT Home Hub. I've tried both Edge and Chrome browsers and both fail to give me full details in the Further Tests section of BT's speed test. See below:

Further Results Good Test.png

I'll also post the hub stats from the first time I've checked since rebooting last night. There would have been little traffic generated from ourselves during this period - some smart phones and tablets would be receiving automated updates, but that is about all. The high SNR seems interesting, as I've never seen it that high.

Line Status After Reboot.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 57

your download speed looks good and consistent with your conenction speed.  try and post btspeedtster results when yoiu feel download speed is low probably at peak say 9pm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 40 of 57

@ksaro1 It's interesting to see noise margin creep up that high without a connection reset. Best thing is to post a btspeedtester result when speed feels slow and check your CRC/HEC error counts every hour or so. It might help to pinpoint where the spiking of those errors is occurring. 🙂
0 Ratings