cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
triple777uk
Message 1 of 6

Re: BT HomeHub 3 keeps dropping Broadband connection at random intervals, any ideas?

I feel for you and good luck getting the problem resolved - sorry but I am in the same boat but this is our story.

We had a seperate phone/ADSL line just for broadband and had a business package. We were sold, and guaranteed in writing, a min speed of 5.3mbps which never ever happened - best was 2.2mbps, worst was 0.17mbps. Line kept dropping, repairs took weeks instead of the 36hrs promised. This went on for 5 years until I sued BT through the County Court and won. BT said they would defend until 2 days prior to hearing then tried to settle. Judge found fully in my favour.

Gave up additional line, business package and just went with a domestic phone/broadband package. Had the socket moved centrally in the house and BT installed new cable from socket right out to pole connecting to network. I was told expected speed would be 3.5mbps and indeed it was - life was good until BT Openreach started playing with cables down the road. Ever since, line has been noisy, broadband drops out every 15-20mins and speed reduced to under 2mbps. I have had two engineers out (we know most in the area by their Christian names now) and both have said the whole estate of 94 houses needs re-wiring. we have aluminium cables, old junction boxes etc etc. Every Openreach engineer we've spoken to groans when they get a job in the area as they know that, until its re-cabled, it is just useless. They have confirmed 100% that problem is not on our property.

I have complained to standard broadband help desk, level 2 helpdesk and Manager but all I get is "we'll send an engineer out" which they do, he tries to fix it, doesn't succeed and we start again. They won't let us speak to Openreach management so my only option is to issue proceedings against BT so they in turn, can put pressure on Openreach. Am also trying my MP but don't hold out much hope there.

We are only 3miles from the UK's 2nd busiest airport so not exactly the hebrides.

Sound familiar?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT HomeHub 3 keeps dropping Broadband connection at random intervals, any ideas?

Openreach do not deal directly with the public only service providers of which BT is just one
0 Ratings
triple777uk
Message 3 of 6

John46

I understand that Openreach do not deal directly with the public but, if all BT as my provider do, is just keep calling out an engineer who does not improve the problem and we go around in circles, then what am I supposed to do? If Virgin, Talk Talk or Sky were my provider, then the situation would be the same. I am in the process of downloading (when it works) the Annual Return from Companies House for both BT and BT Openreach and will write to each of the Directors at their home address and continue doing so until one day, something is done about the situation.

It must cost Openreach £300 each time an engineer comes out - multiply that by the number of houses having problems and the frequency of visits and I would estimate it is costing them well over £100k each year. I also presume that the £1300 I was awarded by the Court against BT was also claimed back from Openreach. As they say in the U.S., so the Math[s]. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

i moved your posts to start your own subject instead of getting lost in someone else's thread and getting answers confused with that for post originator

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
triple777uk
Message 5 of 6

I see no reason for you to move this - people ask for suggestions - my suggestion is to sue BT as I did - maybe they will get some sort of service. I wasn't abusive, just stated fact. I see little point in this forum if we cannot talk openly and freely.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

the post was moved to save the subject going off topic and for you to get assistance from the forum if you want it that however is your choice
0 Ratings