cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Re: BT Wholesale Speed Test v Speedtest.net

I dont see a fix for this issue? I normally get about 8Mb/s download spee via copper wires in a rural area

This has dropped to less than 1Mb/s the last few days and it takes forever to load internet pages.

The BT speed check insists I am getting 8Mb/s downlaod whereas 3 independent checkers :

Broadband .co.uk /  Broadband checker from Which and Broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk  all give between 0.77 Mb/s and 0.85 Mb/s

I have done all of the BT troubleshooting, spent an hour on the webchat with BT repeating all the checks and am now faced with calling an engineer which might cost me £130

Is there anything else I can do.

I have plugged the router directly into the Master BT socket with the extensions  ( faceplate) removed but its still the same.

Has anyone got any suggetsions.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

Did you fully resolve this issue?

I have the same problem normal speed when checked with an independent is 8Mb/s

Recently dropped to less than 1Mb/s , really slow download speeds , 3 independent speed checker s show less than 1Mb/s

But - BT speed check shows 8Mb/s

Carried out all the troubleshooting, spent an hour on web chat repeating all the tests but looks like I am now stuck with apotential £130 call out!

What else to do, I even plugged the Router into the Master socket with the extensions unplugged - just the same

Any more ideas?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

can you post stats from your router 

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  more interested in profile as it can give some odd download results  http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 9

No. I resolved this by leaving BT, which I was able to do penalty free thanks to a price rise.  BT customer service was a complete and utter waste of time.  Promises to ring back never fullfilled, going round and round in circles.  I will never have any BT product again based on the dreadful service. Sorry.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

That was a quick response thank you.

BT Support gives  : 8.2 Mbps Download speed

BT Wholesale  gives :

Download Speed 0.93 Mbps

Upload Speed 1.62 Mnps

Ping Latency : 40ms

BT Wholesale Troubleshooting test gives :

Download : 0.93 Mbps

IP Profile for my line is 8.46 Mbps

Upstream Test : 2.05 Mbps

Upstream profile is 0.83

I am used to getting 7Mbps to 8Mbps  up until this week.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

LOL. I left BT a couple of years ago when my O2 broadband was taken over by SKY. So I transferred to SKY completely

There followed  a 3 month saga with no telephone and no internet from the changeover date which was the subject of a TV  story on "Dont get done get Dom"  when the issue was finally resolved.

I lost my telephone number that we had for 8 years and had to have a new one. I left SKY and went back to BT - Up until now I have had no issues although my router was replaced last year for an unknown fault which gave poor internet.

Sky are worse than BT imho.

Thaqnks for the suggestion

I

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

can you post stats from your router?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

sure what you mean or how to do this?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 9

Broadband.co.uk, Broadband Speed Test from Which? and Broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk  all use the same speed checking engine.  It might be worth trying some others

eg. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/speed_checker_online

I tend to use 'Broadband Speed Test' and 'Speedtest' from this list.

0 Ratings