Re: Bt home hub 5 question ?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

If you are not having any problems, then I would leave things alone.

HomeHub5User
Beginner
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

I do have problems but nothing that can be solved. The ADSL stats are handy to pass onto tech to do me a simple snr reset when needed. This occurs because I have overhead lines over a long distance, which are fine until it rains. Then the snr goes through the roof and requires a reset after the rains have stopped. Its a historic issue that they(BT) tried hard to resolve over a 6mth period when I moved here and they changed many joints and lines along the poles which did help, but there are still prioblems with rain. Its now just easier to accept whilst its raining hard I have issues for a few hours, but then a reset returns things back to normal as far as conection is concerned. The nightmare comes when you try to explain this to a call centre in India with a different person each time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution
if you have problems with the call centre then post here and the forum mods should be able to help you
Syst3mSh0ck
Beginner
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution
Long lines to/from the exchange inescapably produce higher SNR margins, try using a decent aftermarket microfilter such as the ADSL Nation XF-1e and ask BT 2/3rd line support to reset your DLM/IP profile on the BRAS.
0 Ratings
HomeHub5User
Beginner
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Thnx  I dont have any problems until we get heavy rain. My normal noise margin db is 6 and that gives me around 1.5mb speeds which I am happy with. When it rains then snr goes off the roof or drops to zero.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
HomeHub5User
Beginner
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution
My only problem really would be getting someone to do a quick snr reset once the rain has stopped. It would be handy to know how I could achieve this. I mean do you have to go through the whole system to find someone to push the button or is there something else I can do? I had an awful palaver when I was with plusnet, had to go through raising tickets and going through the motions which could take a week or more and most of it was done off scripts which in this case make no sense. I then went to FAST and it was them who got BT out a dozen times or more, and BT tried very hard to sort the overhead wires but it was a never ending job. In the end it was easier to suffer for the few hours of occasional heavy rain and then get FAST to request an snr reset, all done in hours usually though they advised could take 24hrs. It helped keep my sanity 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

the procedure is about the same as you need the same people to make the changes and you should need to show a stable line otherwise all the effort in resetting your noise margin is wasted as it will just drop again and noise margin increase - back to square one.  you reset the noise margin yourself

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution
a stable connection is the first thing you need as already posted resetting a noise margin until then
0 Ratings