cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aglet
Contributor
Message 21 of 36

Re: Download Speeds Dropped Dramatically - Broadband Fault Not Fixed

Well the promised date to fix this fault of last Wednesdy (the 3rd attempt) passed by without it being fixed.

Contacted BT and now they have booked an engineer home visit for Monday.

At least they have agreed a refund for my month of snail paced broadband...

0 Ratings
aglet
Contributor
Message 22 of 36

Engineer called...signal to house ok but no obvious problem within. He installed a new master socket with the Hub 5 now directly connected to that..previously using extension socket upstairs.

Immediate improvement in speed now up to 14mbps download but problem of hub regualrly disconnecting - 4 times today - hasn't gone away. Max time I've seen since engineer called was 1 day..

Oddly when reconnecting signal is sometimes c 2mbps other times 14mbps...any idea why the Hub keeps losing connection???

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 36

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
aglet
Contributor
Message 24 of 36

The line was noisy on Saturday and I reported it to the automatic system but it rang back and said no fault!

Since then line sounds ok - just tried quiet test - but broadband speed has dropped back to around where it was when I first raised the fault in early November.

Latest results download 1.95 mbps, upload 0.84; ping latency 46.25 ms..

0 Ratings
aglet
Contributor
Message 25 of 36

Just to add the BT wholesale performance test just taken

Best effort test - download speed 2.18mbps   2 mbps max achievable speed

Acceptable range 0.8 to 2 mbps

IP Profile 2 mbps

Upstream test

Upload speed 0.83mbps  0.83 mbps max achievable speed

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 36

any noise will wreck a broadband connection phone faults on 151
0 Ratings
aglet
Contributor
Message 27 of 36

OK I've reported noisy line on 151 and they are going to monitor it.. It seems to be only answer as everyting else has checked out ok.

Before I did that I checked the hub and connection was 20 hours and speed the same..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 36

If the line is noisy you need an engineer visit it is just wasting time monitoring the line which will achieve nothing
0 Ratings
aglet
Contributor
Message 29 of 36

Just to update this although I was told BT would be in touch following my reporting a noisy line before Xmas I've heard nothing.

However on Boxing Day the hub disconnected and then resumed at an increased download speed of around 10mbps compared to 2mbps before Xmas.. Though the hub has still to exceed 3 days connection. As I write the connection has been held for 8 hours and download is 12.51mbps.

Exactly what was wrong is still a mystery though being 0.5 mile from the roadside cabinet may not be helping. I understand that this distance excludes BT Infinty. There is a new BT broadband cabinet opposite my house but I was told that BT will not be connecting existing customers to it...Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 36

As I posted on the 22nd of December
If the line is noisy you need an engineer visit it is just wasting time monitoring the line which will achieve nothing a noisy line will kill broadband

infinity come from the cabinet and adsl normal broadband comes from the exchange if there is a new cabinet opposite you then you will only be connected to it if you order infinity
0 Ratings