cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aglet
Contributor
Message 31 of 36

Re: Download Speeds Dropped Dramatically - Broadband Fault Not Fixed

Just to update this thread. Download speeds have improved but still not able to hold a broadband connection.

After several disconnections in a row noticed phone line was noisy and rang to report. Noted that the noise stopped when the hub was disconnected from the phone line so new home hub supplied.

No more line noise but no improvement in maintaining a connection. Kept a log of daily readings on how long hub connected. Average is about an 1 hour but on a couple occassions 24 - 25 hours.

Since last Thursday no broadband signal at all so engineer on the way...

0 Ratings
aglet
Contributor
Message 32 of 36

Engineer visit cancelled by BT as fault not at property. Told service should be restored 29th and that I'd get a text update.

No text update and still no broadband so contacted BT on 31st to set up another engineer visit tomorrow.

Broadband came back to life on Sunday morning and there was a call from BT saying fault found at exchange and they cancelled engineer

Connection lasted about 5 hours and, apart from a few minutes, it hasn't returned. Awaiting call back from BT having reported the situation..  Now 11th day of no connection..

0 Ratings
aglet
Contributor
Message 33 of 36

Engineer called last Friday but he was a phone engineer and not a broadband engineer! Anyway he had a look  at the phone wiring which, with various added extensions, is a bit of a mess. He suggested a rewire but couldn't give any cost estimate.

I'm not convinced that will cure the problem.

Broadband now connected again and holding it for between 9 and 33 hours however speed has dropped to 3.0 mbps and in consequence BT TV isn't working. This was situation last November.

Another engineer calling tomorrow though I've come to conclusion that I can either have a steady connection with slow speed or a flaky connection and a higher speed.

Looks like a change to Virgin and fibre optic is on the cards..

0 Ratings
aglet
Contributor
Message 34 of 36

Broadband engineer called last Wednesday.  I think he just did some tests and reset the broadband . He seemed to think the phone engineer had repaired the line - these engineers are very vague at times and don't seem able to know where the fault lies.

On the day after he called connection tested and was 4 hours at 11.61 download. A day later 2 hours at 0.4 download so back to where we were before he came. Restarted the hub tonight and enough speed to watch BT Sport this evening..

0 Ratings
aglet
Contributor
Message 35 of 36

Back again to slow speeds - 0.5Mbps or lower so no BT TV or youtube...

Yet another engineer due to call. Seems to be a pattern emerging here. Slow speeds started last December then improved to recur in March then improved and now back to slow downloads.

So BT reset connection and then the download speed reduces as time goes on so by 2 or 3 months after reset it drops to below a usuable limit.

0 Ratings
aglet
Contributor
Message 36 of 36

Another engineer called and he detected a fault in the connection between my house and the roadside cabinet. He was still working on it the next day and now my broadband has been repaired and, unlike before, the speed hasn't slowly dropped. Just tested amd its 12mb..

The issue to me was that BT were reluctant to investigate the weak point in the system viz the wire between my house and the cabinet. I suspect to save money but if they had done this at the beginning then I would have been saved a lot of trouble.

0 Ratings