Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bullshot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 106

Re: Download times abysmal

Go to solution
I have always had an excellent Broadband speed ( Hone hub3) of around 18, until Infinity was activated at my exchange , which .i can see through the window as it is a mere 500 yards away. Since the activation of Infinity my Wi Fi drops 5 pr 6 times day and sometimes 5 or 6 times an hour and the highest speed is around 11 or 12. I am quite happy with 18, why should I have to now pay another £7 a month to get it back and to stop being disconnected.
0 Ratings
105 REPLIES 105
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 106

Go to solution

I moved your post to start your own subject to avoid any replies getting confused with the previous post origiantor

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 106

Go to solution
Infinity will have no affect on your WiFi or your broadband service as Infinity is a totally separate product and network it sounds more like a wireless problem caused by localised interference like another hub or router on the same channel
bullshot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 106

Go to solution
I just got a call from some one at Technical help, who said there had been a fault on the line which she had now corrected!!! I did a Speed Test using the speed checker I have always used, I did it 15 minutes before she phoned and it was 10, I did it whilst she was on the line and ...wait for it.....33 !!!!! Lol......she said I must use the Bt.con ( oooops Freudian slip ) wholesale speed check site which I then did and it was 16......., before she hung up I did it again ( belt and braces !!!) and sure enough it was 15.8......here I am 1 hour later and it has dropped back to 10......she said she will monitor it for the next 15 days and to text back to make contact , not go through the online chat procedure......she was adamant that the day my problems started and Infity being activated were a ' pure coincidence'.....really !!!!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 106

Go to solution

as already said infinity installation at your exchnage should not affect your adsl broadband

if you want help post your stats and information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bullshot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 106

Go to solution
Most of the above is over my head....70 year old woman here! Dialled that quiet line test and it was silent. Have got the NTE5 master socket for my connection .
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 106

Go to solution
the BT wholesale speedtest is the ONLY accepted speedtest and that applies to all ISP's not just BT

also wireless connections are not good enough for doing a speedtest it should always be done with a wired (ethernet connection) as wireless is subject to to much external interference no ISP guarantees a wireless connection
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 106

Go to solution

which version of the hub do you have

run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and then post results 

btspeedtester

just because you are 70 is not a problem - many on here are about your age:smileywink:

bullshot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 106

Go to solution
Thanks for replies....I will do the test connected to the router when I get back from the supermarket, ( need to find the connector...Ethernet?) I am using a MacBook Air, or my ipad sitting 7 feet away from the router normally, and it has been great until the very day the Infinity was activated....ok , so it has nothing to with that, but it is ' weird' .... The WiFi strength for using my ipad in bed to catch up on Sky News is pathetic now , was always really good.and as for Facetime....impossible now without disconnecting every 30 secs.
0 Ratings
bullshot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 106

Go to solution
Just realised I can only use my Mac Book and ipad wirelessly , so cannot connect using the Ethernet cable, nowhere to plug it in!!!! That's why all my testa have always been done wirelessly....have got an Acer Laptop will have to get that out and update anti virus etc...will take me a while as not used it for ages.Meanwhile tried the router in an extension socket and the speed dropped to 6.... Put it back to normal socket and now got 12......in between all this lost connection twice in 30 minutes again....all this after Techie woman said she had corrected the fault that she had detected......
0 Ratings