Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bullshot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 61 of 106

Re: Download times abysmal

Go to solution

Hi Sage....Got told off my techie bloke in India...he phoned on Friday aternoon as very annoyed that I had asked for help on this forum, he said if I have 2 lots of people giving help or advice help then it is no wonder i have probems., as i had originally reported it to 'techie help' I should only follow his advice...I told him I was pleased to have got help on here but he was still cross  ....I then told him I  had been advised not to restart the hub or do a speed test for 3 days and he said he was just about to advise the same.....have not touched anything ( honest injun) and he just phoned and said the speed was 9.2..I want it back to 16, so we have agreed to leave it for 2 more days and he will see if it is more settled before he increases the speed....only problem now is the wifi has dropped off 3 times since he tested it, and although i have got wifi here on my macbook, hubby sitting 3 feet away cannot use his ipad!!! I did ask him about moving the main socket to a different location so it will come into the room I am in and he says £130...is that right? The router is in the hall at the moment but as there is no power to it via a socket , it gets power from an extensin cable, would be better to move it in here where I have power...the router is plugged into the main BT box with the cover dropped at the moment,  , can't  leave it like that indefinitely......I promised to get back to you with update.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 62 of 106

Go to solution

can you post up to date stats from your router please

I would agree that should only be one sorce of help otherwise it gets confusing but the fact what you were aske to do here was what he was going to say anyway.  personally knowing how good the mod record is I would stick here and dump you online techie - but I am biasedSmiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Message 63 of 106

Go to solution
fully agree with IMJOLLY dump the help line
bullshot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 64 of 106

Go to solution

Sorry for not responding....just realised Sage is not anyones username ...Doh!!! Been so busy sorting out  curtain deliveries, collection for faults and re delivery, collection for faults and re delivery and now awaiting replacemement for the last pair of faulty curtains and then await yet another delivery with John Lewis...techie bloke called this afternoon and asked how internet had been, it has not dropped off but has been slow...he said it will be reset now and should be ok by tomorrow...have moved it back to original place and have decided will have the main socket moved so it comes into  the sitting room where I can see the hub and keep my eye on the ' blue lights'( think I need to get a life) ....not sure what the speed is as I am reluctant to do a speed test since you told me that causes noise and therefore slows the speed down.I'm going to let it settle down and see what happens , will check the speed at the weekend.Won't phone for Techie help again , will pop on here and ask for help....really hope I do not need to.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 65 of 106

Go to solution
Running btspeedtester will not cause any problem so run it whenever you want. Doesn't sound techie if that is sort of advice given

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
dfenceman
Expert
Message 66 of 106

Go to solution

Ignore instrction 5.  DO NOT Reboot your modem/router by powering it off, waiting one minute, and then powering it up again. Wait for any lights on the router to stabilise before starting the test.          

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
bullshot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 67 of 106

Go to solution

Well the promised increase in speed never happened.I have been trying to book a hotel and flights and realised it was still slower than usual( 16-18), so did the BT speed test and it's 9.2 ...the connection is not dropping but the speed is no different.

Can you sort it for me please?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 68 of 106

Go to solution

you need to repost router stats and diagnostic results from btspeedtester - do you have the 3+ days conenction time?

bullshot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 69 of 106

Go to solution

No not now, had to unplug it to move it....it has only been 1 day....will leave it until Monday and the post those figures again

Have checked out the Bt sales site now and when I signed up fpr this it said speeds up to 20 meg...now it says speeds up 16 meg for people signing up now....have they done this to force people on to Infinity? I t wil not work for me , it will do the opposite and force me to Sky

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 70 of 106

Go to solution

no the original advert for up to 20mb was a connection speed but BT like other ISPs were forced to change the advertising and show download speed hence the advert is now up to 16mb

0 Ratings