Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
somanyhands
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Re: Help increasing upload speed - 448 Cap

Hi folks

I know this is an old thread but it came up in a web search and it's just "that old chestnut" that is STILL affecting folk, isn't it?

Like us!

I have 3 gamers here in our house and, throttled at 0.4 upload speed, only 2 out of 3 can play at once.

I suppose I could introduce a gaming draw each evening, to decide who plays when, but I prefer the peace.

The below btwholesale test is fairly typical of what we see regularly:

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 4.63 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:

Upload Speed : 0.18 Mbps

So, alternatively, we could get this ridiculous cap removed, right?

What's the current procedure, please?

We've had several attempts at getting this dealt with by phone and are quite honestly SICK to death of speaking to the same old parrots reading from the same old scripts and getting absolutely nowhere.

Presuming the below is helpful:

on Exchange GAINSBOROUGH is served by Cabinet 16

VDSL Range A (Clean)14.99.51.20.8--Available----
VDSL Range B (Impacted)12.94.11.20.6--Available----
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 1--1 to 3.5Available----
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 1Up to 0.51 to 3.5Available----
ADSL MaxUp to 1--0.75 to 2.5Available----
WBC Fixed Rate0.5----Available----
Fixed Rate0.5----Available----
VDSL Multicast------Available----
ADSL Multicast------Available----

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

You are not upload capped that is the maximum speed available for ADSL Max you could move to fibre Infinity which is available to you and should improve both upload and download speeds
0 Ratings
somanyhands
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

But fibre infinity is for those with fibre to the house, isn't it?

We're over a mile from the box and so just have the "Unlimited Faster Broadband" package which is supposedly up to 17mb (never seen more than about 😎 download and "up to 1mb" upload and we've NEVER seen more than 0.4mb, which is, I'm guessing, because we are on ADSL Max.

Is that right?

We *could* get better upload (which is the problem with multiple gamers) by switching to ADSL2 though, couldn't we?

0 Ratings
jean12
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

I am not a technically savvy person, but I understand that Unlimited Faster Broadband is VDSL/FTTC service provided to customers who are not estimated to receive a service faster than 15mbps. Your router or hub will give a modulation: if it's G.992.1 then you have ADSL Max, G.993.2 is VDSL/FTTC. If you are on VDSL/FTTC, you are getting the best you can receive and ADSL2+ would be a downgrade.

If you post the router or hub stats on this forum, then a more technically savvy person will be able to explain what service you have been provisioned for.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

@jean12 wrote:

I am not a technically savvy person, but I understand that Unlimited Faster Broadband is VDSL/FTTC service provided to customers who are not estimated to receive a service faster than 15mbps. Your router or hub will give a modulation: if it's G.992.1 then you have ADSL Max, G.993.2 is VDSL/FTTC. If you are on VDSL/FTTC, you are getting the best you can receive and ADSL2+ would be a downgrade.

If you post the router or hub stats on this forum, then a more technically savvy person will be able to explain what service you have been provisioned for.

VDSL is not necessarily faster than ADSL2+, it depends on the relative distances. VDSL is supplied from the green cabinet, ADSL2+ from the exchange. VDSL attenuates much faster with distance than ADSL, there may be a crossover point where the distance from the cabinet may make VDSL slower than ADSL from the exchange.

0 Ratings
somanyhands
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

OK, I'm not sure where to find my router stats.

I'm not using the Home hub 5 we were initially given (because it dropped wifi so often), we have a TP Link W9980 which is infinitely more reliable.

I'm not terribly sure where I'm looking for what setting?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

The TP link stats are listed under 'Status' the first tab that opens when you login. looks something like this.

9980stats.jpg

0 Ratings
somanyhands
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Many thanks.

I'd seen that bit but had no idea if it was useful.

Please see below.

Like I said, we're on the Unlimited Faster Broadband package, with a "top" speed of 17, although in realisty we have never had above 10.

Upload speed has never been above 0.45-ish

Repeated calls to "customer services" (on a variety of numbers) have yielded robots with scripts who, 90% of the time, don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

For example: One guy said we should be getting an upload speed of between 0.8 and 1.2 and then proceeded to tell me that my 0.4 was between those numbers.

He was quite insistent. I may have lost it a little at that point and demanded to speak to someone else.

Didn't get me any further though. Always "We've done something** and check again in a day or two"

**I'm assuming that "something", in this instance, is put the kettle on.

We're at the end of our tether with trying to resolve this, as you can perhaps tell.

Anyway, stats, as promised, below.

FullSizeRender.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Is that with the router connected to the master socket or an extension? Can you connect the router to the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket and re-post the stats please.

0 Ratings
somanyhands
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

That is connected directly into a brand new, first point of entry, socket that was fitted recently and with nothing else connected to that socket.

Why? Does it seem like the results aren't right?

0 Ratings