Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mankie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Re: No Internet and horrible bt customer service

About a year ago we started to notice that the broadband was sometimes very slow.  Running speed test programs we found that at best we got just under 15Mbs (BT website gives 16 for our postcode) dropping on occasion to 2 or 3Mbs.  We went through the chat line on the BT website (it wasn't slow at the time) they tested the line and found no fault and got us to make changes to equipment logins etc, this took an hour on line with what was obviously an Indian chat line centre.  It made no difference, it went slow again a couple of days later.  We had line extenders and hard drives connected to the router so tried disconnecting them in turn to try to ensure that it wasn't us causing the problem but it was difficult with the intermittent nature of the fault.  So we waited for a convenient evening and the fault to occur and went on the chat line again.  They tested our speed and agreed it was much too slow so booked an engineeer to visit.  (chat time 90 minutes)  Engineer duly came, line was behaving itself and engineer did a few tests said he could find no fault.  The fault came and went and eventually we contacted the chat line, at the start of August, again during a fault condition.  Again they tested and found the speed very slow, this time they booked a visit from a broadband engineer.  Again the chat time was 90 minutes.  Broadband engineer said Hub6 was faulty, took it away, ordered a new one and gave us a Hub5 to use in the meantime.  Seemed ok at first but speed was only 11Mbs.  After a few days the fault was back and a few weeks later the Hub6 still hadn't arrived.  On Monday morning last week, again during a fault condition, I this time used the phone fault report line, again they tested and found it slow and said there was definitely a fault on the line outside our house and we wouldn't need to wait in for the engineer as he wouldn't need access to the house.  Again they booked an engineer but said they had no record of the order for a new Hub6. (60 minutes on the phone) Hub6 didn't arrive as promised on Wednesday but a fault tracking email did and it showed that it was waiting for action from me to book an engineer for a house visit!  I managed to book this for the following afternoon.  Engineer only had instructions to test for a line fault and had not been given details of previous test showing fault outside the house.  He only did a brief test from inside the house and found no fault.  I went for online chat again, again explained everything to India, third Hub6 was ordered and engineer booked for Tuesday morning, was promised a call within 24 hours from a manager because of all the problems we had suffered. (still waiting and 60 minutes online)  On Sunday morning the fault changed to a complete drop out for about a minute or two every 15 minutes and this lasted for three hours.  Same again at 8 am on Monday.  Online again, told it was engineers upgrading my local cabinet and I would get a call from senior engineer within 24 hours to say how long before upgrade was finished. (still waiting and 30 minutes online)  Engineer did basic tests on Tuesday morning and then used a portable time domain reflectometer to look for anomalies on the line and found something outside the house.  He was local and knew that no work was happening at our cabinet, it had been been upgraded a couple of months ago!  Two hours later I went out to see what was happening and there was also also a cherry picker to get up a pole a way from our drive and leaning too much to safely climb.  2 bad idc joiners had been found on different poles plus a section of cable was badly abraded by trees further along the road.  The cable had spare capacity so we were changed to a spare, undamaged twisted pair and he put in for the cable to be replaced plus the trees pruned.  Seems to be working fine so far and Hub5 is beginning to self correct the speed drop, apparently it could take 48 hours to get up to max.  Again phoned India re Hub6, put me through to ordering department in uk.  Very apologetic, only had record of one Hub6 order, the one from Monday last week and it was 'stuck in the system', not actioned.  Another one has been ordered - fourth time lucky?
 Yes/No! Hub6 arrived on Thursday - yaaaay!
Hub 6 installed on Friday and working fine.  Whole Home mesh installed on Sunday morning (10 minutes and all 3 units were up and running) Max signal strength throughout the house, fine on the patio and perfectly useable in an outbuilding 200 yds away!  Went out for lunch on Monday and when we got back speed was down to 0.5Mbs!!!  It played up all night and when engineer came this morning the line was fine whilst we were still having problems ie new Hub6 had gone faulty!!!  Should be getting a call from manager (India) this afternoon so I'll get him to order a new one which we may or may not get!
Fed up with BT and their Hub 6 so have ordered a TP-Link AC2800 Dual Band Wireless modem/router which gets good reviews and is also compatible with all the major ISPs if we decide to change.  Are you listening BT?
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Not to a post on a 12 month old thread with no use of paragraphs they’re not.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 19

Yes, I've given up too Smiley Frustrated!

Message 4 of 19

Hi @Mankie and welcome.

I'm sorry you're having problems with the connection. If it's still slow can you post your helpdesk details? You'll find them in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home. If the connection is dropping can you try a quiet line test by connecting a phone to the test socket behind the master faceplate and dial 17070. Let me know how you get on with it.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
Mankie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Hi David, thanks for trying to help but I tried both your links and couldn't find 'troubleshooting/helpdesk!  What am I doing wrong?  With regard the master faceplate, there is a phone already plugged into the socket below the broadband socket or do you mean that there is a socket inside if I remove the faceplate?  Regards, Mankie.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Hi @Mankie,

Thanks for posting. Can you try running a speed test including the further diagnostics an post the results? Are you able to post a picture of your phone socket? You should be able to type 192.168.1.254 into your address bar which will allow you to access the hub manager.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Mankie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Thanks for your helpful reply to a newbie on here!  I wasn't sure where to post as other threads seem less relevant and also not sure if there was a limit on space available so didn't use paragraphs till near the end.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Hi @Mankie,

Can you post the speed test result and Hub stats as suggested by @DavidM? This will give us a good indication of how the connection is preforming and where the problem might be.

Welcome to the community forum by the way Smiley Happy

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Mankie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Hi David, BT Chat (India) always ask about the socket.  Sorry, don't yet know how to upload pics and it is running very slow at the moment so would probably take forever to upload,  speed checks (when I can run them!) always have a ping of 20 or 21 ms, speed is currently 2.3 Mbs download and 0.35Mbs upload. At other times during the weekend the highest I've seen is 10.4 Mbs download and 1.1 upload.  Socket was installed 2 years ago when fibre was finally installed into my local cabinet, it says ' openreach MK2' on it, there is a horizontal moulding line below the internet socket and about 1/3 of the way from the top, the bottom 2/3 has the phone socket vertically under the internet socket and chrome fixing screws to left and right.  Engineer last week said line was fine from the cabinet before he arrived and fine from my house.  As blue light on Hub6 was constant during problems then it must be a fault with the hub (4 days old and working fine for first 2 days) He said he would report the hub as faulty but he couldn't order us a new one.  Had a call from manager (India) and he could see that engineer had visited but there was no mention of the faulty hub!!!  This has happened before in August when engineer took away our previous Hub6 and we had to use a Hub5 for 6 weeks before the new 6 arrived (see previous post) and also a test of our line from phoning the hepline, showed a fault in the cable outside our house but this was not passed on to the engineer that called!  It seems that that BT Wholesale, BT Retail and BT Engineering, despite being a communications company, have problems with their communications and the end customer suffers.  Manager (India) phoned again on Frday and booked an engineer visit for tomorrow morning, another morning waiting in (about 50 hours of phone calls, online chat and waiting in now) but lets hope this solves the problem otherwise we are moving to Plus Talk, cheaper and a reliable router according to lots of satisfied friends. 

0 Ratings
Mankie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Have posted speed tests but they are all over the place from 1.7 Mbs download to 14.4 when the wind is in the right direction.
0 Ratings