cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cuthill
Contributor
Message 1 of 54

Re: Slow downloads, IP Profile set low. Used to be OK!

I am having the same problem.

My IP profile was 4 up until about 2 months ago. Acceptable range of speeds was 0.6 to 7.15 Mbps with Connection rate of 4.64Mbps down and 0.45up. I was achieving 3.87 download.

In last 2 months my IP profile has been everywhere between 4 and 2. Latterly it has been getting back to 4, then dropping to 2 again within a day. Having given up on the help from the "voice" on the help !!! line, I am now not switching the router off and waiting for the line to reset as outlined in this forum.

There are a few people in our small village (30 homes) about 3 km from exchange who are having similar problems, but others are getting between 5 and 6 Mbps

Can anyone help. You are my last hope

I have a TP link dual band router (N600 - model TD-W8980) which is relatively new, and would like to know how to get the information about the router that is quoted in this post

0 Ratings
53 REPLIES 53
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 54

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

I moved your post to start your own thread so replies will be about your problems

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router

I think this may help

http://192.168.1.1
Default Username = admin.  Password = admin

From the side menu bar

> Status > DSL

Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).  must be done with wired connection

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Cuthill
Contributor
Message 3 of 54

Thank you for the quick response and information on what to do.

I have run off the router information attached below and done the other tests. I am not connected to the master socket but to another socket which was more convenient. I am toying with moving the router to hook it up to the master, but it requires a lot of re-jigging. The test results are also attached although I have had a whole series of results from 1.9 download up to 4.36.in the last 4 months. Nothing has changed in terms of wiring etc in that time

The quiet line test shows no background noise

I also note that the System Up Time is just short of 5 days, so it may be that the system will reset after it reaches 5 days. I will re post if it does

Router Device Information - TP Link N600

Firmware Version:0.6.0 1.3 v000e.0 Build 131012 Rel.51720n

Hardware Version:TD-W8980 v1 00000000

System Up Time:4 day(s) 02:45:50

DSL

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_G.dmt

Annex Type:Annex A/L

Upstream

Downstream

Current Rate (Kbps)

Max Rate (Kbps)

SNR Margin (dB)

Line Attenuation (dB)

Errors (Pkts)

I cannot run off the Diagnostics as I get an error message, but the previous tests gave

For your connection, Acceptable Range of Speeds is 0.6 to 7.15

Your DSL Connection Rate is 4.64 (Down) 0.45 (Up) with IP Profile 4 and test speed of 3.87.

I have had 4.36 but presently getting 1.92 (figures above would also change for 1.92 download)

Hope someone out there can help. Thanks for link. At least I am now talking to people with knowledge of this type of problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 54

can you enter phone number to the dslchecker link I posted which will give estimate of connections available to you

your stats look ok with noise margin about normal 6db and ip profile correct for your conenction speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Cuthill
Contributor
Message 5 of 54

Hi

New Router info page attached. SNR Margin is now 12 down and 15 up. Can I do anything to get both to around 6dB

Also 5 days system up time has changed nothing in terms of speed. My neigbour had an engineer out and he reduced the noise to a default level (6 I think) and that took him to over 6mbps download.

I have also had a network engineer from BT tell me that my line is being moved at the exchange (Glenfarg) from 20CN to 21 CN. Can anyone explain what difference that might make. The change is due to take place on 4th Aug

Basic Status

Device Information

Firmware Version:0.6.0 1.3 v000e.0 Build 131012 Rel.51720n

Hardware Version:TD-W8980 v1 00000000

System Up Time:5 day(s) 05:20:25

01577 830062

DSL

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_G.dmt

Annex Type:Annex A/L

Upstream DownstreamCurrent Rate (Kbps)Max Rate (Kbps)SNR Margin (dB)Line Attenuation (dB)Errors (Pkts)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 54

your conenction speed has dropped from stats you posted yesterday which must the result of a drop in connection  I think the system up time of 5days + is misleading and that is time router has been conencted to power not the internet connection time which must be less than 1 day

it is the drops in conenction which are casuing the drops in speed and increase in noise margin and until you can get a stable connection it is pointless getting noise margin reset 

have you moved conenction to test socket with filter to eliminate your internal wiring as causing a problem?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 54

when your exchnage is upgraded to 21CN it makes adsl2/2+ availabe with max speed of 12mb and 24mb speed available depending on line quality and more important diatance from the exchange  with your 54db attenuation the change will make little difference to you which you can see by entering your attenuation here  

check speed

Cuthill
Contributor
Message 8 of 54

Hi

I had a look at my telephone connections and firmed them up. One may have been slack?

Tabulated below are the results for 3 different connection testa I have just done after the cable check. Any thoughts?

Test 1 is a direct 10metre ADSL cable to modem from RJ11 phone socket with wire filter.

Test 2 is same cable but with filter accelerator (I Plate) which is normally fitted

Test 3 is remote socket presently used in living room

Direct to Exch

With filter (ACC) on master

Remotesocket Normal connect

Current Rate (Kbps)

Max Rate (Kbps)

SNR margin

Line Attenuation

Errors

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 54

The test socket is certainly better as you can see it give better speed but as important the attenuation is better showing the connection is actually better. Instead of using the iplate just remove the bellwire from terminal 3 in master and any other sockets. 

bellwire removal

Cuthill
Contributor
Message 10 of 54

I took out the bell wire years ago.
Can the SNR margin be reduced on the Upstream side.
Is the problem on my side of the system or BT's
0 Ratings