cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 54

Re: Slow downloads, IP Profile set low. Used to be OK!

you are on adslmax and max up speed is 448kbps.  when your exchange is upgraded to 21CN and you are then upgraded  then you will get an up speed of about 1mb

if you disconnected the bellwire years ago then don't know why you had iplate as removing bellwire is better than iplate

you now need to try an get a stable connection preferably using the test socket which is giving best results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Cuthill
Contributor
Message 12 of 54

Thank you for all this info.

I removed the bell wire years ago following info in technical reports, and only added the i plate as I thought it could do no harm and maybe increase the download. It really is "try anything" when your download is so low.

I will take the i plate out and maintain a stable connection till 4th August.

An upgrade on upload would be welcome, but a download improvement is really the goal

Are the SNR margins OK. My neighbour says engineer set his levels to a default of 6 and that is what made the difference??

What are your thoughts

Wish I had joined the forum earlier. Just getting all this info is a real help

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 54

the normal noise margin on down conenction is about 6db and from stats you have posted you are currently about normal noise margin

assuming your exchnage is upgraded to 21CN it could be weeks or even months before BT will automatically upgrade your connection.  enter your phone number and post results and see what connections are available to you currently   remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Cuthill
Contributor
Message 14 of 54

Just changed the position of the router to be able to connect directly to the BT master box

Speed now way down at about 0.6 down, 0.36up

Basic Status

Device Information

Firmware Version:0.6.0 1.3 v000e.0 Build 131012 Rel.51720n

Hardware Version:TD-W8980 v1 00000000

System Up Time:0 day(s) 00:21:58

DSL

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_G.dmt

Annex Type:Annex A/L

Upstream DownstreamCurrent Rate (Kbps)Max Rate (Kbps)SNR Margin (dB)Line Attenuation (dB)Errors (Pkts)

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number 01577...... on Exchange GLENFARG is served by Cabinet 1

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

ADSL Max

Up to 1

--

0.75 to 2.5

Available

--

--

Fixed Rate

--

--

Available

--

--

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast

--

--

--

Available

--

--

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market A Exchange.

There is an open order on your line which is due to complete by 04-Aug-2016.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note:

Thank you for your interest.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 54

all the resets as you have been changing the connection to try and find best result has resulted in your noise margin increasing and your connection speed reducing   you now need to maintain a stable connection 24/7 with no resets and your noise margin should start to fall in stages down to 6db with corresponding increases in your connection speed  this would normally start in about 3/5 days stable

however if you can repost your stats showing 3 days stable internet time not system up time thejn mods will help by resetting nois margin back to normal 6db which will bring your connection speed back which will give higher profile and faster download speed

Cuthill
Contributor
Message 16 of 54

Thanks again. I think I now have system set to give best possible results, and I should be able to leave it alone for 3/5 days. Thank you for all your time. Will resend in 3 days.
0 Ratings
Cuthill
Contributor
Message 17 of 54

Hi Again

I am having real problems getting any kind of internet connection and when I do it is 0.2 down. It waited 2 days and still have same very low download,so slow it usually closes on time out. I have basically lost internet and I have had to reset to get back on.

I will try to attach latest router info.

After turning off I have tried shorter cables, another router etc and no difference.

I am now leaving on and working with i phone to get any internet connections.

I think I need a reset at the exchange before I can progress, but I cannot see what else I can do at this end 

I will try to attach latest router info

Device Information

Firmware Version:0.6.0 1.3 v000e.0 Build 131012 Rel.51720n

Hardware Version:TD-W8980 v1 00000000

System Up Time:0 day(s) 00:19:48

DSL

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_G.dmt

Annex Type:Annex A/L

Upstream DownstreamCurrent Rate (Kbps)Max Rate (Kbps)SNR Margin (dB)Line Attenuation (dB)Errors (Pkts)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 54

are you still using the test socket?  is there any noise on quiet line test

an 'exchange reset' will not fix your conenction as you need to find the cause of the drops in conenction first  trying numerous different things when router first drops conenction is actually making it worse not better

0 Ratings
Cuthill
Contributor
Message 19 of 54

Hi Again

I think what you are saying is"leave the thing alone"

I have it plugged into the master socket (as it has been for the last week) and will leave it asit is for 5 days no matter what.

I am using my mobile data to get on the net and can survive that way for a period. I will get back to you in 5 days.

There is no noise on line using non wire phone. Although I have a wired phone I do not want to break the connection to plug it in

Thanks for your patience.

I will try and control my frustration

0 Ratings
Shush41
Beginner
Message 20 of 54

Hey Cuthill

I had the same probs as you. But I noticed that you said you switch the ruoter on and off but have left it in for a few days now.

I too used to switch the router off, so the line thought there was a fault, dropped the speed.

After looking on various threads, it was suggested that the router be on all the time.

So left it on for 10 days. But no speed increase.

In the end the solution was the open reach engineer came and did a hard reset on the phone line. I don'y know if this can be done from the exchange but you try asking the customer support people some thing like that.

Hope this helps. Good luck

0 Ratings