cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 21

Re: Sudden Issue with Broadband , speeds fluctuating constantly up and down , unusable broadband.

Go to solution
Can you post the connection stats from the hub 6 when connected to the test socket (by removing the face plate from the master socket).

Can you also put your number into here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com and post up the resutls.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 21

Re: Sudden Issue with Broadband , speeds fluctuating constantly up and down , unusable broadband.

Go to solution
you are on standard copper broadband your distance does not matter from the cabinet it is your distance from the exchange there is nothing Openreach can do to shorten your distance from the exchange you have been misled by the engineer

I suggest you let Neil and the forum mod team sort this out for you
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution

Hi @colinclement,

The engineer shouldn't have been able to order you a Home Hub 4 as they won't have access to your account. I think it may be best if you spoke with one of us to get this resolved. You can reach us by clicking on my user name and then on contact the mods. We'll be back in touch with you afterwards within a couple of working days.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Unimprest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

Interesting, I have a HH3 and openreach engineers have told me not to upgrade it as it is better than the later models.

In your case I would expect the problem is a local loop issue, at 2.8km from the cab there are probably plenty of D side joints and crossconnections and there could be an intermittent fault at any of them. Where I live I am 3km from the cab and every joint has been opened and remade now as an engineer visit to a problem in one property has generally caused or exposed faults on other local lines. It was only after those joints were remade that the real fault on my line, an open circuit wire inside the insulation immediately behind the cab termination block was discovered on the final engineer visit that my ADSL service was restored to an average 4Mb connection that it had always been until a year before then. Prior to that the last but one engineer could only offer to spray the connections inside the DP BT outside as he suspected terminal condensation was the cause of intermittent service as the speed was better later in the day than early morning!

0 Ratings
colinclement
Beginner
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution

Telephone Number ******* on Exchange NORWOOD HILL is served by Cabinet 4

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available -- -- -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

@colinclement

Please edit your post to remove your phone number, as this is a public forum.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution
With those estimates you're clearly on a long line. More ammo to the argument of trying a broadcom based modem, such as the Billion 8800NL or 7800DXL.

I've had much better performance from them than anything else.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
colinclement
Beginner
Message 18 of 21

Go to solution

Hi

problem is if I go away from a BT modem I get no support at all. 

My speed today has reverted to 2.42 on what BT said was a broken HH4. I can only wait for the new HH4 to arrive, plug it in and wait for the fault to appear again then go through the whole process again. 

How do I get openreach to check my line properly for intermittent faults or better still run me fiber to my property?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution
I'd also suggest getting in touch with superfastsurrry.org.uk to see if they have any plans to increase speeds to your postcode, or can offer any advice on alternatives.
0 Ratings
colinclement
Beginner
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

Hi Neil

We now have a new home Hub 4 (arrived yesterday) which is running at 2.4mbps. (at the moment)

What stats can i show you ?

Thanks

Colin

0 Ratings