Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
malkybck
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Re: poor broadband speed again

hi everyone, i am getting so frustrated as my broadband and phone have both been failing since tuesday night.

broadband works, but it takes between 5 and 10 minutes to load a single website. cant view videos/iplayer/skygo etc. its so slow that i cant even complete the speed test i was advised to by btcare on twitter.

i have managed to do the test on page 1 of this thread and my results are..

download speed 0.13

upload speed 0.21

normally we have one laptop on, one computer, sometimes both watching sky go. sometimes also a ps4 connected online too playing online games. so i've no idea how its gone so wrong.

the phone is also not working properly, i cant hear anything other than crackling on the line.

i have just had a 2 hour live chat with someone called Subhasis who unbelieveably just decided to stop replying to me cause they couldnt find a problem. i phoned up BT instead and he told me just to wait 24 hours, or call out an engineer for £130.

any help will be hugely appreciated as it's been like this since tuesday night Smiley Sad  someone called patrick b from this forum helped me with problems last year and was brilliant so i think this is my best option for help on here, cheers Smiley Happy

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal  if you hear crackle then you need to report a phone fault to 151 not broadband. Get rid of line joise and that will help your broadband

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
malkybck
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

thanks for the reply. here are the stats..

21:29:50, 22 Jan. ( 1602.780000) DSL noise margin: 11.00 dB upstream, 15.20 dB downstream
21:29:50, 22 Jan. ( 1602.710000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 256 Kbps downstream

i am connected to one like in your picture (the front part), it is the only phone socket in my home yes.

i did try the quiet line test and yes there is a crackling noise, sometimes the phone works fine but sometimes i hear the crackling noise.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Then as i said you need to report a phone fault not broadband to 151. Get phone line fixed and your broadband will start to improve

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
malkybck
Contributor
Message 5 of 24

okay thanks will try in the morning. funnily enough the crackling noise isnt happening just now but it has been happening quite often. will give it a try.
0 Ratings
malkybck
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Hi, I've just phoned that number to report a phone fault and all I get is an automated voice which does a check on the line, then says 'I could not find a fault, goodbye'

How do I speak to a human about this?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

does this help   www.bt.com/faults   or try live chat 

phone faults

live chat

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

just keep persisting with the fault number
0 Ratings
malkybck
Contributor
Message 9 of 24

I can see open faults for both phone and broadband on that page when I use my mobile to open it but I can't open either of them.

I was on live chat from 6:30pm yesterday with someone for two hours, they just stopped replying to me after asking me to restart my hub. I waited 40 mins with no reply, then my internet disconnected.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

if there is still line noise then until you get an engineer to fix it your broadband won't improve

0 Ratings