cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

Really slow connectivity, which is normal, but would switching to ADSL2+ help?

Other than being SLOOOOW, is this line easily identifiable as ADSL1 or ADSL2+, I ask, as SpeedTest Checkers show the line as being capable of UPTO 2.5MB.

A tiny 'upgrade' to ADSL2+ giving upto 2.5MB would be an absolute godsend, given that we're so used to getting .5MB.

I appreciate that living in rural areas, we're lucky to get what we do, however, if there's a little more juice to get out of the line, then it would be worth trying!

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: <removed>
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 14/12/12
4. Board version: BT Home Hub 3.0A
5. ADSL uptime: 12 days, 23:47:54
6. Bandwidth: 448 / 832
7. Data sent/received: 0.3 / 2.5
8. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
9. BT FON: Yes
10. Wireless network/SSID: SSID
11. Wireless connections: Enabled, (802.11 b/g/n (Recommended)) 20 MHz, WPS enabled
12. Wireless security: WPA and WPA2
13. Wireless channel: Automatic / 1
14. Firewall: Default
15. MAC Address: <removed>
16. VPI/VCI: 0 / 38
17. Line profile: Interleaved
18. Software variant: -
19. Boot loader: -

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 13 days, 00:27:19
Downstream: 832 Kbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 12.4 dB / 11.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 61.3 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 16.5 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 1223684 / 1650
CRC Events (Down/Up): 3208 / 458
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 9407 / 459
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 5509 / 1208

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Really slow connectivity, which is normal, but would switching to ADSL2+ help?

You are on ADSL MAX up to 8Mb service

this link should show if ADSL2+ is available to you you are on a very long line and as ADSL2+ is more noise aggressive and due to your line length you are unlikely to see any speed increase
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: Really slow connectivity, which is normal, but would switching to ADSL2+ help?

ADSL2+ became available recently (info via SamKnows) however, I believe I am still on an original ADSL1 line, and am wondering if I may see a slight increase by switching to the ADSL2+ modulation?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

your connection speed at present is l;ow due to the higher than normal 6db noise margin

with your current attenuation an upgrade to adsl2 will have little benefit and if you have line noise it certainly won't help as it is more aggressive on noise than adslmax

check possible speed difference here - add 1 or 2db  to current attenuation for upgrade

check speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

as i posted earlier due to your long line and the fact that your attenuation will also increase by 2db your speed is unlikely to increase also ADSL2+ is more noise aggressive you could be liable to more disconnections unless a lot of work is carried out on the line
0 Ratings