Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Recurring fault

Hi,

Had a BT line newly installed by BT 3 years ago, worked fine for 2 years, then started dropping out on broadband constantly and SNR rising up and up until the speed was something dismal like 2mb (usually around 19-20mb)

Had BT engineer visit, found line broken underground, switched me to a new line

fault recurred

Had another engineer, found a different break, switched another line,

everything fine for about 6 months

fault recurred

BT took a week doing tests, and then said it was a fault at the exchange and some computer needed to be reset in the exchange and this would fix it - I don't really understand that - but it fixed the fault for a while

fault recurred

called BT, very slow service, felt like I had to jump through hoops to get my line fixed, eventually told it was a faulty hub, got sent a new hub, but it was the wrong one... another call to BT, who then sent the correct hub (I had 5, was sent a 4, then when I complained about the downgrade I was sent a 6, which is nice but I was just wanting a like for like replacement...)

anyway, everything was fine for a month or so, and now the fault is back, initially it dropped once and I thought it was just a software update or something, perhaps a hub reboot, but then it started more and more frequently until tonight its basically unstable again.

Called BT, was asked what hub light was on (hub lights are OFF in the settings which I tried to explain) and when I said none (it had connected) I was told it was fault, I tried to explain but he wouldnt listen and kept telling me I would get another new hub. So we rebooted the hub and we got flashing orange, steady orange, flashing orange for a while at which point he said he'd run some tests.

After a while waiting he said that the hub showed 3 drops (which is all I can see too my end, the logs seem VERY short compared to the previous models? only WAN data for 2 days and its not been turned off?) and I said the lights had begun blinking purple - he then went quite again (guessing to run another test or see what purple means?) and when he came back the hub reconnected and we had the whole "the hub isnt showing a light, it must be faulty" conversation. He was then in the process of asking me to reset the hub completely and I was looking for something to reset it with when the phone cut off, not sure if he put it down on me or it was just bad luck but I really cant be dealing with this hassle again!

Can anybody give me some decent advice on what to do here because I'm getting tired of all the calls. The service is great when it works but I feel like I'm constantly chasing it now and about ready to just put a complaint in to a consumer body and ask to be released from my contract as it is not being upheld - I complained to BT before about service and nothing happened.

Also I've never seen the purple light before, is it anything significant?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Recurring fault

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 11

Hi @user1982

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!

I'm sorry for all the problems you're having with your services and that this has been going on for so long.  You can send us over your details and we'll give you a hand with this.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 11

@user1982 I tried calling you there but missed you. I was calling to check how you've found the connection since your last post as my tests indicate that it has been stable over the last few days and the speed has increased with this? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Hi Neil

Sorry I missed your call

I had dropouts on friday and called BT on the 0800 number - unfortunately just as you were calling me!

They said there was a problem at the exchange and this needed to be reset

The line has been stable for 3 days now and the speed is nearly back to its maximum - 19mb - max I get is usually 21/22mb

Can I have some assurance though that BT know what the problem was and that it wont just recur because I am getting a bit frustrated with all these calls?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Hi Neil

Stable connection for 5 days now, this is what normally happens, then in a month or two it goes back to dropping out

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

if you have further problems post back here rather than using the call centre as you will more help
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 11

@user1982 Thanks for getting back to me, I'm glad it's seems to be ok at the moment. If the drops return post back here and we can organise an engineer to investigate it further.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Hi Neil,

It seems that the drop outs are beginning again over the last couple of weeks. I might be wrong but does the heavy rain have anything to do with it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Since posting that a few hours ago the broadband has repeatedly dropped out until it has become unusable again

0 Ratings