Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pepito
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Regular ping spikes when gaming

Go to solution

For browsing and video-streaming there are no problems.

However, starting a week or two ago, in online games the resting ping is much higher than normal and there are spikes causing rubberbanding every 1.8 seconds. These are very regular; within 0.05 seconds either way. Even so, in server browsers or if I ping the server I'm currently playing on through command prompt, it gives me a normal ping (about 50ms), even though the game is displaying a much higher one (usually 200-400, jumping up to 900 during spikes). 

I have a BT Home Hub 5, and am using a wireless connection (I know not ideal but there is no way of getting a wire to my machine). I recently upgraded my graphics card and PSU, but I have sufficient power and HWMonitor shows nothing is overheating. I have reset the router and my NIC several times to no avail, I've run malware scans, I've messed with every network setting possible in the games as well as in Windows, but nothing has helped, and I'm out of ideas. 

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Regular ping spikes when gaming

Go to solution

using wireless for gaming is normally a problem hence why gamers prefer cable/ethernet connections.  what about powerline adapters?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Pepito
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply.

I recognise that wireless isn't the best for gaming and I have considered powerline adapters as a worst-case-scenario fix, however this issue only started happening a couple of weeks ago (everything was fine before that) and I'd prefer to sort it out rather than dodge around it with some fairly expensive kit. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

have you turned of smart setup  

Turn Off smart setup

have you split the networks   

Split the networks

try changing channel

you can try downloading inssider3 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

inssider3.1.2.1

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Pepito
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you again for the suggestions.

While I hadn't done any of those, I'm afraid none of them have fixed the issue. Moving the channel seemed to change the size of the lag spikes, but that was probably just me being optimistic.

Thanks again for any further suggestions

0 Ratings
Pepito
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Just as an update, the problem has been solved by turning off all devices on the network and unplugging the router overnight. I've no idea what the problem was, but I suppose that if it works for me, it might work for something else.
0 Ratings