Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MattLake
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Request ADSL Profile Reset.

Go to solution

Thought I would ask on the forums as phoning the call centre is as much use as calling sainsburys to book a train ticket.

Having constant issues with my ADSL broadband because my signal margin is set way to low and the ammount of FEC errors is immense, causing my real world speeds to plummit or crash altogether and website become unusable. This has only happened in the last couple of weeks and my broadband had been running stable for months on the default 6.5dB signal marggin. I have a more advanced router which gives me better stats and line info, current my profile is sat at 3.5dB or less on the downstream depending on time of day.

I'm having to restart the router numerous times of day to try and achieve a lower sync speed so I can use the internet and play online games without constantly being disconnected from servers. This only work for a while and the router will resync again at silly speeds that my line just cannot handle, example being I used to get 6 - 6.5 mbits, the last week or so it's been syncing between 8-9.2mbits making the internet useless as it doesn't transmit data bevause of errors.

Can someone please look into this for me and get a profile reset back to the default 6.5dB, i telephoned earlier in the week and was told it would be looked into and I would be contact within 48hrs, still no call back and the issue persists.

If nothing is done I'm out of contract at the start of next month and will switch suppliers for both broadband and phoneline, plusnet looks very good at the minute with thier deals.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Request ADSL Profile Reset.

Go to solution

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.
Everyone posting here, are just BT customers like myself

Threatening to leave is of no interest to other BT customers, as we are just here to help those who want help.

FEC (Forward Error Correction) errors are corrected errors, and do not affect your connection. Its CRC errors that will impact on the connection.

You are looking too hard at the ADSL statistics. Do you have a BT Home Hub you can try?

A low margin can indicate other problems, like interference from extension wiring.

0 Ratings
MattLake
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

That's the issue Keith, BT hub 4 is useless at the minute with my line, I'm having to use an old thomson speedtouch 780WL and have it forcefully request upon syncing the desired signal margin. BT Homehubs are extremely basic and have most features locked down as BT prefer customers don't see what is happenning. I'm no idiot I have worked in IT and Telecommunications for over 20 years, so looking at line stats and signal margins, errors and real world dtata transfer compared to sync speed I can see there is an issue. 

The 780WL is currently forcing the DSLAM into giving me the 6.5dB avaerage broadband profile, the home hub 4 if plugged in syncs with a 3.5Db margin, giving me silly sync speeds upto 9280kbps on the line, but a real world throughput of 1mbit if I'm lucky or just stops working due to the error rate.

Stats from the 780WL below:
Link Information

Link Information Uptime: 0 days, 10:41:53 Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 882 / 7.645 Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 56,93 / 1,38 Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,0 / 20,0 Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 25,5 / 48,0 SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,0 / 5,0 Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Link (Remote): 0 Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3.564 / 0 FEC Errors (Up/Down): 346.903.235 / 16.402.150 CRC Errors (Up/Down): 191.385 / 170.174 HEC Errors (Up/Down): 248.119 / 58.039

Please bear in mind the 6.5dB profile has been forced by the router to get a stable sync, but as you can see there are a lot of errors.

Link Information

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

CRC errors are not excessive for 11 hours, but I would expect a lower count. You could have some impulsive noise on your phone line, or even a bit of a high resistance connection. DLM does not always see this, so maintains a low margin.

How often do you use your phone, and is there any noise on it?

0 Ratings
MattLake
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Phone is a BT cordless job with answer phone intergrated, connected direct to the master socket and have it double filtered to cut out any issue. I tend not to use it as I have unlimited minutes on my mobile which when used indoors relies on wifi calling through the broadband. Also the RJ11 cable from the NTE5 master is high grade and magnetically shielded and runs direct to router. Also it's the only socket in the place with no extension wiring at all.

0 Ratings
MattLake
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
Just checked and I am sure a profile reset has been carried out, checked the thomson router and was saying 12.5dB margin after a resync. Now connected the Home Hub 4 back up and I have my usual sync speed of 7mbits back and the connection is stable again. Not sure if BT did a reset or there was an issue with the DLM, but fingers crossed it appears to be fixed. Will monitor it though.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for letting us know it's sorted @MattLake. Appreciate you taking time to do that. If the SNR margin drops again post back and we'll be happy to help.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings