Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
welshman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Rubbish Broadband & Rubbish Customer Service

Go to solution

I've had the unfortunate luck of having BT Broadband since January 2009. At the time I was led to believe by BT how reliable, constant with connection speeds and helpful their own in house technical team are. What complete and utter rubbish. Everything which they claim is so great and brilliant is complete trash.

Now 13 months on I'm still having the same problems which were their from the very beginning. Everytime it rains heavily or is really windy my broadband connection is constantly disconnected. BT couldn't care less. Every time you call you have to go through to the no help call centre in India. Their usual answer is to hang up on you or they'll promise to call you back. More chance of winning the lottery than getting a call back. 

If your really unlucky they'll give you the usual trollop of how the BT Hub 2 are 100% perfect and fault free and how all problems that users experience are ALL down to user error or having the wrong PC. I've been told that my hub needs to be 50 metres away from my PC, that all connections have to be made using an ethernet cable (even to my mobile phone which is an impossibility), that all the lights and electrical appliances need to be switched off in order for the hub to work (last time I checked by PC worked off electric), and that despite me telling them numerous times they are insistent to this day that I have an internal master bt socket. Seeing as BT were the ones who in fact put in the phone line they should be fully aware that I nave NO internal master socket. Outside we have an External NTE

External NTE - inside the box 

But still I'm told I'm wrong. Then its the route of how the fault is all that of my own making and that I have to pay £120 to get a BT engineer out. When someone does eventually turn up he walks past the external master socket and wants to knock through walls to find the internal master socket, that and complain about how little he's been offered for taking redundancy. The second engineer (after an email to chairmans office) I'm assured will be a Broadband Expert Technician. What a joke. All the guy kept spouting on about was how knew broadband was and no body knows much about it. Then he tells me to plug my hub into the master socket outside and leave it outside. I asked how do I connect it to the electricity? I can't have a window open 24 hours 7 days a week just to have an electrical lead to plug my hub into. Then I asked what happens when it rains? Oh comes the response, the hub will get wet, you cant do that then. Then he has the cheek to blame me for having an External NTE. I never asked for an external one, BT just fitted it as the property was new. Next excuse then is to blame the wiring inside the house and how its all the builders fault.

Contacted the builders who said they'd be more than happy to attend with the BT engineer with his readings for interference to back up his claims but surprise surprise the BT engineer never bothered getting in touch again, despite assuring me he would.

Thats it, BT are no longer interested. If I ring India I'm just given the same bull excuses, provided they don't hang up on you first. My last email sent to BT in January is still yet to be honoured with any kind of reply. 

Without a shadow of a doubt joining BT Broadband was the biggest mistake of my life. BT are here to take your money and screw you over then stick their two fingers upto you in the process. If you want help yeah they'll give you help provided you agree to a 12 month contract and pay £10 odd or whatever it is now each month to be able to speak to a UK technical support team. The fact I'm already paying £30 a month isn't enough, witht his all you get is no help from the untrained, lack lustre rude people in India. 

BT have no interest in attempting to fix any problems, they just want you to pay them more money for a service your already paying through the nose for but not getting.

Well BT thank you very much for absolutely nothing whatsoever, roll on to the end of my contract and I'll be sticking 2 fingers up to you. No wonder you have the lowest ratings on Broadband comparison sites.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
NanoTm
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 23

Re: Rubbish Broadband & Rubbish Customer Service

Go to solution
might sound strange but if your getting all thease problems with the bb surely your having the same problems wit hyour voice line as well.

oh and you should complained when you ordered the phone/bb package that there was no bt master socket in the hjouse since getting connected is them placing it there.

and yes the bb guys can change a few things but generally speaking the voice side sort out the actual cables and any dodgy conections.
0 Ratings
Ivor_Williams
Beginner
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

Had the same problem as you for 14 months. India is a complete waste of time and can not divert from the script they read. The money would be better spent else where. The forum guys helped me more for a couple of months but in the end I fixed it myself. Get rid of your Hub 2. Beg, borrow, purchase (but not steal) another hub. I got a Netgear DGN2000. Fitted 6 days now and speed is still increasing. From unstable or slow (135kbps) speeds with Hub 1 and 2 I'm now up to 2 Mbps and climbing (won't go much more as I'm a horrific 3 miles from civilisation (town centre) in Sussex).

Try that first.

I'm with you, I shall bin BT when my contract is up. If BT equipment (Hub2) can not talk to BT equipment (Exchange) what hope is there?

0 Ratings
mikejones
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

It doesnt help but you are not alone, many of us have enjoyed the circus that is BT techincal customer support. I too have had the engineers turn up, seemingly clueless about how broadband works. One guy was barely able to operate his laptop, I asked him to connect to my hub wirelessly, he siad he didnt know how to so I did it for him. All have complained about BT, work ethics, pay, bosses tracking them etc.

In the end, my fault was stablised afetr 4 months of 135kbps ish speeds, I now get just under 500kbps, but for three days it has stayed stable. 3 days in 4 months, great. Oh and yeah 30 quid a month here too for the keystone cops broadband.

Good luck with your next isp, they certainly cannot possibly be any worse.

0 Ratings
Ivor_Williams
Beginner
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

Same answer to you Mike. I had 5 Engineer visits of which 1 seemed to know what he was on about. Had 2 new BT Hubs, new wiring, new sockets and still had a speed of 135Kbps although after a visit it would go to a Meg for a day or so.

Reset your Hub or turn it off completely for 5 minutes. Turn it on and check the DSL connection rate. IF it has increased (about double or more) then try a completely different Hub, NOT a BT one. They have done something to the soft or firmware which means it is not talking properly to the Exchange. They won't admit it and with Broadband, Wholesale and all the other different departments that make up BT no-one wants to admit they are wrong.

My new Netgear Hub has increased my speeds by 10 at the moment and still slowly rising.  

0 Ratings
olly230
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

I thought I had it bad. 4 weeks to get mine sorted (but they did sort it - kind of)

I dutifully went through the scripted process twice with india.

then after that i complained

more script.

then various levels of enginneer got involved.

Bare in mind that the minute a problem gets technical ie past the bounds of your house BT have to log a call themselves with another supplier.

So theres you - a broadband helper - a complaints helper - a bt engineer - a bt wholesale engineer and I think theres another subsection within BT wholesale

any one person in that chain messes you about can mean you've got to start again. Getting a complaint ref number means you can hinge all comunication on that.

0 Ratings
welshman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

Hello everyone else out there in the same ever growing boat as myself and thanks for your posts. In reply to NanoTm, this is what really gets me, I too thought the voice line must be suffering at the same time but it does not. The landline for making/receiving calls is 100% fine and always has been. Upon calling BT and having lost count of the line tests carried out they sometimes say your landlines unusable yet it isn't. Only problem with it is when using the Hub phone, when the hub disconnects bye bye phone call. 

The first engineer who came out was supposed to be a Broadband one but turned out to be a voice guy. He was more interested in his low redundancy offer. That and wanting to smash through numerous walls in an attempt to prove me wrong. As soon as I told him the fault was reported as a Broadband fault that was it. It was no longer anything to do with him. I asked who was it to do with then? He told me to ring India, cross my fingers and hope they send you a new hub. Despite already having 2 new hubs (both encountering the same problem) and expect a bill for him being called out! 

I think out of all the people with BT whom I've spoken (including the engineer who came out) only one woman said she knew what an external master socket actually was but I'm inclined to think she was just agreeing with me. 

With regards to the master socket, as the bungalow I'm living in was built in 2008, BT fitted this External NTE. Apparently its the norm now with all new builds. Thats great until your told you have to plug your hub into the master socket. Until wireless electricity is in use in UK households and until BT introduce 100% waterproof Hubs then theirs no way to connect it directly to the master socket. BT were coming back to me with a fix to this problem but that was in May 2009, now its February 2010. I'm being accused of the one being at fault for having this installed. How they can lay the blame at my door for a Nationwide Initiative which is funded/run/carried out/installed by BT I do not know. 

Once I emailed the chairmans office with a long email of complaint my case was passed to a complaints handler. I did have high hopes of things finally being sorted at long last but this hope was to prove as negative as BTs Broadband. Yes I got to speak to a nice lady, yes she passed my details back and for to various departments promising fixes, yes she rarely called me back as arranged, the engineer visits with  arranged date and time never actually happened. I'm a disabled wheelchair user so have to arrange these engineer visits for when theirs someone else here too. Then they have the cheek to turn up unannounced when I'm on my way to a hospital appointment and tell me I either stay home and they fix the fault or I go to my appointment and they leave doing no work but charge me for the callout. I ended up staying at home, in the hope they will finally fix it but no that wasn't going to happen. Instead I'm told ring BT and get a new Hub as the new ones are rubbish. Told him I had 2 already but he wasn't interested. 

By now it was the start of the summer and as far as BT were concerned they had fixed the disconnection problems without knowing what they did. They did nothing, as I told them with it being summer and the weather rmainly dry the broadband remained connected until it rained or became windy. Roll on the first wet day the broadband disconnects 18 times in 15 minutes. I rang back to the customer complaint person dealing with my complaint but she was no longer interested. As far as she was concerned it had been fixed and subsequently closed. She advised me to ring this new number which I hadn't been given before and where did I end up? Yup, India. 61 minutes to get through to someone only to be told plug your hub into the master socket, its my fault I refused to do this and thats the problem. 

At this stage I gave up and resigned myself to being stuck paying for a service which only worked when it wasn't raining or windy. Living on the south west coast of wales those wind and rain free days are very few and far between 10 months of the year.

Roll onto January 2010 and after 2 whole days of constant disconnections (I lost count after 100) I decided to email the chairmans office again. That was the first week in January 2010. To date (todays 26th February 2010) I'm yet to receive any kind of response/reply.

I did think about buying my own router but to be honest I woudln't know what exactly to go for or have the patience any longer to try and set the entire thing up. I just think if I did splash out on my own router then any problems will then be blamed by BT on that. 

I did look into buying a mobile broadband dongle (don't worry it wouldn't be a BT one) but my location is unable to get 3G. Only bog standard WAP speeds. 

Perhaps BTs next big Broadband Offer should be free Anti-depressants/Valium with every order. If anyone asks what on earth for, sign up to BT Broadband and all will become clear.

Smiley Wink 4 months to go until I'm free of the Broadband hell which is BT! Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Morph
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

You don't have to wait 4 months. just cancel it.

Any reasonable person would agree you are not getting what you have paid for.

English Law does cover this sort of thing, and always has done.

Morph

0 Ratings
NanoTm
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution
it sounds liek the nte5 socket is the main problem, those boxes were widley used in the mid 90's but mostly removed due to moisture problems, the nte5 is supposed to be put in during the estate build and removed once an actual customer pays for connection, there main purpose is as a cable holder to ensure that lines are easy to locate and route to the required entry point as there were problems with a lot of new build projects loosing or damageing the wires before a proper connection was made, adn in several cases double billing for time wasted when things went quite on schedule either the bt engineeers were late or the site wasnt quite ready for them on the arranged date/time. the NTE5 system was designed to get rid of that problem, sounds liek its made a few for you though, seriously when your have the constant dropouts pinging your line (router keeps flashing orange) then dial 170170 and select option 2, if theres even a faint fizzing get bt voice out get the line repaired.

i sympathise that beign disabled makes things harder, and beign threatened with a bill if you went to the hospital was outrageous, you should of gone to the hospital and had the clown sacked for trying to bully a vulnerable person, its always more important to have helath appointents than listen to some jumped up prig no matter if they can or even do have the power to make everyday life that littel bit easier.

if you think its the rain casuign the problem get a friend to use a 1 or 2 mm drill bit open up the cover on the nte5 case and put 2 holes in the bottom of the case, it will allow the moisture to drain out, it would be better if you could fit proper self actuating one way valves but untill the box gets replaced theres not much hope of that.
0 Ratings
welshman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

Hi Morph, I can assure you I have tried to cancel BT Broadband on numerous occasions but without success. Everytime I'm given the speil about how I'm in an 18 month contract and if I want to canel it now I have to pay up front for the remaing months of the contract. 

No matter what I tell BT about the history, ongoing problems 13 months on, the unhelpfulness of engineers or anything else I'm quoted the same thing. Either that or I'm hung up on or better still I'm told I'm being passed onto a department which can help with the matter and who answers??? Yup that's right BT Broadbands India No helpline division. 

I refuse to pay in advance for termination of a contract which hasn't been honoured(in my eyes anyway) from the very beginning (January 2009) Today I've tried phoning the chairmans office but again go straight through to voice mail. I've left a message asking for my email to be read and even sent it again to make sure its been received. I've requested my MAC code free of charge without any penalties being incurred. I doubt I'll get a response (the norm from BT) but I live in hope, albeit false hope. I've made it clear that I wish for any response to be sent via email to myself. I'm not being caught out by lies over the phone again, at least with an email reply I'd have a copy of what has been said/agreed.

About the external master socket, I've tried suggesting this is the fault but I'm met with the usual Oh no its not and told how reliable these things are despite BT not knowing anything about them or that they even exist. Probably more gumf from their ever unhelpful scripts. I don't want to go drilling into anything purely for not being blamed in the instance that a fault occurs with the landline. Thanks for the suggestion about the 170170 option 2 but when I try it I just get a dead tone with no options. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again people. 

0 Ratings