cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljw61
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Rubbish connection, especially evenings!

I'm so fed up with BT's performance. 

We get around 3-4Mbps most of the time (which is all our overhead copper wires wil deliver Im told ) and thats usually sufficient for us  but from around 6pm  every evening its just s***!

We cant watch Netflix on the TV or vids on the PC, even Facebook takes minutes to load pictures..

My kids cant connect their I pads..

Our Home Hub 5 is located clear of any other electrical interference and it doesnt make any difference if our laptop is 6 inches or 6 feet from the hub.

Do you think this is a problem with the hub, should we upgrade? We never had a problem when we were with Virgin and using a Netgear router..

Ive rung BT so many times but all I get is an Indian call centre advisor going through the same checklist...

PLEASE HEKLP/ADVISE!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Rubbish connection, especially evenings!

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter

If using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

0 Ratings
ljw61
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Hub problem?

Our broadband speed isnt great , on a good day around 4mbps, which we can cope with but most of the time (especially evenings) even at this speed internet pages, vids, images , TV smart hub, etc. can take minutes to load, if at all. ..

This is even when signal strength status is described as 'excellent' when cursor is over the internet access' box.

Our hub is a 'Hub4'

Its located no further than 1m from the PC or 2m from the TV.

Theres no electrical gadgets in the vicinity to mess with the signal.

This sounds like a wireless problem to me , so is my hub just not fit for purpose?

Never had this with my Virgin service through my Netgear setup ....

0 Ratings
ljw61
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Re: Hub problem?

BTW.. That post took 2 minutes to upload on to the forum..No doubt this will , too

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

@ljw61

You have existing unsolved threads about this. Its best if you only post on one thread until solved. This will avoid duplication.

Thanks

Another thread of yours https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Very-high-ping-very-slow-internet-speed-no-h...

And https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Very-high-ping-very-slow-internet-speed-no-h...

If you can please provide the information requested, then someone can help.

What about your phone line?

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Could you please post the results from the BT Wholesale speed checker, including the further diagnostics. This must be done using a computer connected by an Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
ljw61
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for replying.

I thought this was another type of question re. the wireles hub.

My lack of response re. the 17070 test (which I have tried but not sure just how quiet it should be) is because we've had BT out to test our lines - according to them inside and out theres no fault , theyre as good as overhead copper wire can be ..

As I said the speedtest has been done (twice a day usually) and most times we are getting around 4mbps but even with this speed everything just 'buffers' ..

The TV and my kids tablets cannot be connected by cable so surely the wireless signal is at fault?

I will try to find the relevant logs and post..

I just wish BT themselves would show more concern/interest whenever I call..

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

You keep making ref to the 'overhead copper line'. It would make difference it being under or over ground because they're both still the same cable guage of 0.5 Copper.

I don't know why some people have this idea in their head that underground cable feeds to their house are somehow superior to overhead?!?!?

I betting the reason for your slower than you expected broadband is your distance fom the Exchange. If you're getting on average of 4mbps I'd guess you're about 3.5 to 4.5km fom the Exchange.

Its normal for your throughput speeds to slow down in the evening because there's more people on the Internet and it causes congestion.

If you need faster speeds why did you leave Virgin Media in the first place?
0 Ratings
ljw61
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Rightly or wrongly the Bt engineer told us the old overhead wires werent helping matters.

We're about 1/2 mile from the exchange.

Not everyone in our street suffers such slow internet speeds, including some who are with BT!

We had no choice about leaving Virgin, they informed us they were dumping US and moving us to TalkTalk as they were concentrating on their cable buisness !

Anyway, like I said, most of the time my speeds around 4mbps which is fine .

My real question is -  could the wireless hub be faulty? Would upgrading help?

0 Ratings
ljw61
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

I have the events log page onscreen now but Can someone please explain which are the relevant logs to post and how I find them .

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

'Rightly or wrongly the Bt engineer told us the old overhead wires werent helping matters.'

Take my work for it, when Openreach Engineers say things like that it's code for one of two things.

1. I haven't got a clue what's wrong so will just say anything.

2. There is nothing wrong but seen as you're convinced there is and I can't be arsed with debating it I'll just say this or that 'might' be the problem.

0 Ratings