cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 27

SNR Margin

Hello

Up until the last 3 months, I have had a good 15 years of faultless broadband with a consistent 18 - 19Mbps downstream.

Problems started with dropped connections up to 4 or 5 times an hour and reduced speeds each time it reconnected. I've had 2 engineers out, #1 changed the faceplate, #2 said there were no problems in the house, but he had found a fault at my cabinet. After getting a call to say it'd been fixed, all was good for a week.

It started happening again - after making in excess if 10 complaints and registering faults, still nothing was done. I've been tearing my hair out because the last person I spoke to said, the faults were failing to be registered with Openreach.. I would get emails or text messages saying the fault had been fixed, when it clearly hasn't.

My router was showing 500+ error packets on the downstream in the space of a few hours. It then changed to the upload speed, with 3000 packet errors registering in less than a day.

I couldn't rack that many up in 5 months of uptime, previously.

Another complaint on Monday with more line tests blah blah blah .. like all the other persons I spoke to "The fault is outside of your premises"

Well, the past 24 hours have seen a return to normal proceedings - 2 packet errors in that 24 hours and no line drops. However, the major problem with that is, my downstream SNR Margin is at 15.1. I only get 11Mbps downstream now, which is pathetic!

15 years of consistent 18 - 19 and then suddenly down to 11?! That's not good enough! That's only 3Mbps more than I was getting back in around 2003.0

My SNR Margin down was always around 4dB with no problems - can BT reduce it back down?

11Mbps is ruining my website (which is part of my business) I can't watch streams like before. If a family member is downloading on Sky+, it ruins everything else around the house. Ping times are now at 40ms, whereas before, they were 14ms. So gaming has turned poor...

Openreach have explicitly said that they will not upgrade my cabinet to FTTC due to it being so old that it would be too costly.

19Mbps was satisfactory before all of this started happening, so can I get it back again?

--
https://warehamwx.co.uk/
0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

Re: SNR Margin

@Mapantz wrote:

11Mbps is ruining my website (which is part of my business)

@Mapantz 

Welcome to this user forum.

Are you a business user?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 27

No.

--
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 27

You probably would get better service if you were actually paying for a BT Business account.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 27

There is noise there, not as bad as it was last week, but it is there.

--
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 27

@Mapantz wrote:

There is noise there, not as bad as it was last week, but it is there.

It should be totally quiet, as noise on the line will be causing errors, which will result in DLM reducing the connection speed.

If you report a noisy phone line, then once that noise has been cleared, your speed should return to normal within a week.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 27

I don't get any errors anymore - after waiting 3 months.

The problem now is, the speed. As I said previously, the SNR downstream used to be circa 4dB, which resulted in 18 - 19Mbps.

The SNR is now 15.3dB, as a result, I'm now getting 11Mbps.

--
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 27

@Mapantz wrote:

I don't get any errors anymore - after waiting 3 months.

The problem now is, the speed. As I said previously, the SNR downstream used to be circa 4dB, which resulted in 18 - 19Mbps.

The SNR is now 15.3dB, as a result, I'm now getting 11Mbps.

You will not see the errors now, as the speed has dropped, and the increase in SNR, allows for plenty of bitswaps as frequencies become unusable. You may also find that you now have an interleaved connection, that will enable forward error correction.

Have you tries a single disconnect of the broadband input, to see if it reconnects at a faster speed?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 27

Have you tries a single disconnect of the broadband input, to see if it reconnects at a faster speed?

Literally, hundreds of times. No difference, apart from a slight decrease occasionally.

--
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 27

@Mapantz wrote:

Literally, hundreds of times. No difference, apart from a slight decrease occasionally.

Then I would say that there is still an issue on your line.

If you keep disconnecting it, it will be seen as a fault.

0 Ratings