I was wondering if one of the mods here would would be kind enough to request my SNR margin be reset to the standard 6db please?
A couple of days ago, my connection became very unstable, lots of dis-connects (Bad Weather!). Also, when it reconnected, the SNR margin was at one point -1.5db after the weather passed, and after multiple resyncs, the connection stabalised at 12.8db
Thing is, it's been 2 days, and its not changed. I did disconnect, but when I connected again, it was still the same give or take .**db
Not sure why when I call BT there technical chat dept, still doesn't know what SNR even means, let alone how to adjust it. (I've had to ask for this plenty of times in the past, and yet, the only way to get it done is through one of you lovely chaps :-)
Solved! Go to Solution.
Thanks for your post and welcome back!
Sorry to see you've had a few disconnections over the last couple of days. Ideally, we'd like to see 3+ days of solid connection before we'd reset the SNR.
Sounds like there may be an underlying issue here that's causing the connection to drop out that may need investigating. Post a screenshot when you've got 3 days uptime and we'll take it from there.
**Edit** - @john46 Snap!!
|Did you get the help you needed?|
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
|Show your appreciation!|
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
|Help guide to using the community? Click below|
|Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You|
Cheers for the welcome :-)
I while back and with no knowledge, I would have accepted the wait 3/5 days for it to stabalise, but I have been through this before, a lot more than once too :-(
I know the connection IS stable, but I also know that the local underground cable junctions are so unbelievably shoddy, I am genuinely astonished that road traffic doesn't affect my connection. (I was standing chatting to the OR guy last time they were working on it, and saw the cableing!!!!! I wish I had taken a picture to be honest, it was amazing that it worked at all.
Thing is, it is the really **bleep** weather that has made this happen. In my past experience, and this I have been right about every time, the connection will not change from that SNR unless it is done manually by somebody.
I can already tell from my connection stats that the weather effect has subsided, but in the past, this has not mattered as far as the SNR is concerned, because after putting up with a poor connection speed for days/weeks on occasion, it still didn't go back to the 6db that BT set as the base standard.
I have talked with you and Neil on the phone in the past, (I doubt you recall), and we kind of all came to the same conclusion each time, the SNR was stuck and once you, (on one occasion) and Neil (on another), intervened, got the SNR changed, and from then on, each time you did, everything started working fine, untill weeks or months later. Last time it was due to snow, this time rain.
If you really aren't happy about requesting the SNR reset for a few days, then fair enough, I'll wait, but I can 95% assure you, I'll be back with a still stable connection, and a **bleep**ty SNR :-)
Thanks for reading, and helping :-)
Hi John, :-)
As I have said, many times before, I truly appreciate your response, but please, could you not help? I mean this in the nicest possible way. :-) I really do appreciate any help offered.
You don't actually read the whole post, and then you comment on something that does not address the problem.
If you actually read the original post, I'm FULLY aware of the connection up time, and again, if you read my other post, you'll also see, why your advice is in direct conflict with what I have asked for.
I appreciate your efforts, but a stock response just wastes yours and my time with a long typed response.
Just to clarify, since I said this connection was stable, it has been, my uptime is now 1 Day(s) 14:04:05, SNR 13db.
Like I said before, I know what's wrong and I know what's needed, the only problem is having to go through the motions of the standard stock answer to this scenario and wait for the supposed retrain time (WHICH IS NOT THE PROBLEM)
I'll say this and hopefully clear up any questions.
I have had to have my SNR margin manually changed EVERY SINGLE TIME this problem has raised it's ugly head (At least 6 times in 2 years, funnily enough, it's when the weather is **bleep** ;-)
The problem is with the weather/rain getting to the underground cables.
As for the quiet line test, it was, and is the very first thing I do at the first inkling of a connection problem.
To sum up, if it's a problem to request the SNR be maually changed, then OK, I'd obviously accept that as being a reason to wait, but in my experience, it's very easy and puts nobody out, and since I am CERTAIN it will put pay to my issues at present, I'd like to get it done if possible.
If I am incorrect in this assuption, then also, fair enuff :-)
Thanks for reading,