cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a_e
Contributor
Message 41 of 56

Re: SNR fluctuation and banded after line upgrade

To update this thread… the issue is still ongoing.

I’ve had two engineer visits:

5/03 - The first didn’t detect any line faults and said the profile was ‘mismatched’ so had to be ‘rebuilt and set’. He said to wait the 10 day stabilisation period, however, almost immediately after he left the downward spiral of resyncs at lower and lower speeds happened. Robbie (Mod looking after this case) reset everything and booked another engineer.

09/03 - Second engineer was even thorough than the first. He immediately detected a line fault 100-120 metres away from the house! He tested for faults at multiple poles which pinpointed a fault near an electricity transformer and overgrown trees on my driveway. He found a spare line on the adjacent pole on the road where he switched over the lines. He also switched the D & E sides at the exchange? However, the fault is still there. He advised a complete new line to be installed the span of my drive way to which I was happy to accept. He also instructed that a buried armoured cable would be best to avoid any repeating problems with the power transformer and overgrown trees and booked in the work to be done. Work was also booked in to repair a temporary fix on the line further down the road which could have been causing additional problems.

The engineer said work could commence 10th - 12th March. However, he phoned back to confirm the work was all booked in for 2 weeks time instead(which is fine).

15/03 - Two OpenReach vehicles turn up at around 5pm, to I assume, survey the work to be carried out. They seem to have a different plan… They want to replace the existing line on the poles and if that doesn’t sort the problem they will lay an armoured cable. They said work will commence either Friday 16th or Saturday 17th.

OpenReach didn’t turn up and I’m hoping Robbie or someone else from BT could please look into this for me and let me know when work is scheduled and the details of what is being done?

0 Ratings
a_e
Contributor
Message 42 of 56

Hi,

I’m still having problems with my line…

Following on from my previous post, which Robbie addressed by phone to get answers from OpenReach, the line replacement never took place, although the notes from OpenReach say it has! 

The area of the line where the second engineer located the fault is in the exact condition it was when the engineer visited the property and pointed it out i.e. trees and ivy resting on the line to the point where you can see black scoring in the bark. 

If the fault has been re-diagnosed elsewhere that’s fine but I can 100% say the line spanning the full length of my driveway has not been replaced!

Onto how the line has been performing - at the end of April, the line started to become very stable with hardly any major fluctuations in SNR. The speed even hit a rate of 8Mbps download! However this didn’t last long… the speed has gradually dropped to 3Mbps but more importantly the SNR has begun to fluctuate quite extremely again and is at 25dB on the downstream!

On a side note, I have been switched over to a new AIO cabinet as of Friday 11th May which is a lot closer to my property. I’m hoping this will be fibre enabled very soon according to CodeLook. Could this be the reason for the decreased speed and high SNR? 

Current router stats below:

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps)864
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps)3072
Default Gateway / IPv4 Addresspppoa0 (DSL) / 
Connection Time4 Day(s) 13:08:03

xDSL
ModeADSL_G.dmt
Traffic TypeATM
StatusUp
Link Power StateL0

DownstreamUpstream
Line Coding (Trellis)OnOn
SNR Margin (dB)25.29.0
Attenuation (dB)37.024.0
Output Power (dBm)18.812.5
Attainable Rate (Kbps)50241004

Rate (Kbps)3072864

K (number of bytes in DMT frame)9728
R (number of check bytes in RS code word)44
S (RS code word size in DMT frame)2.002.00
D (interleaver depth)84
Delay (msec)4.004.00
INP (DMT symbol)0.080.06

Super Frames7461676174616761
Super Frame Errors82212368
RS Words785828391392913095
RS Correctable Errors41874
RS Uncorrectable Errors20200

HEC Errors605502390
OCD Errors10
LCD Errors10
Total Cells28467733060
Data Cells6787553420
Bit Errors00

Total ES22450
Total SES1100
Total UAS725627

As always, any help would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
a_e
Contributor
Message 43 of 56

My SNR margin is still at 25dB and is showing no sign of dropping other than during daily extreme noise interference bursts (graphs below)

Should the margin have started to drop by now considering the connection uptime of 6 days?

Should I attempt a manual reset to see if the connection re-establishes at a higher speed with a lower SNR?

This whole issue has been on going since January! Just when I think things are starting to get back on track the problem resurfaces and I’m left with an unreliable connection of 1-2.2Mbps! I’d really appreciate some assistance in getting this fixed once and for all. 

2018-05-05-22.59.51-SNRMargin.pngSNRM 4/5th May2018-05-10-23.01.03-SNRMargin.pngSNRM 10/11th May2018-05-16-22.19.36-SNRMargin.pngSNRM 15/16th May

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 44 of 56

from stats the down noise margin looks stable until 10.49 and drops off a cliff an the fluctuates until about 20.24 then becomes stable again at orginal level  is there anything in the home that could be causing the interference or is there any line noise during that period

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
a_e
Contributor
Message 45 of 56

This fluctuation doesn’t appear to have a regular time pattern everyday but I have checked a lot of in house appliances/devices for defects that may cause electrical interference, with no luck. I’ve also tried many quiet line tests during the margin spikes which also doesn’t present any noise.

Should the SNR baseline really be that high though?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 46 of 56

the normal noise margin should be about 6db but looking at the stats you posted if that was the case then the drops in noise margin would be down to zero which would cause a reset and if repeated daily then you end up with reduced speed, high noise margin and banded profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
a_e
Contributor
Message 47 of 56

I’d have hoped that the noise margin should have shown signs of decreasing by now and the speed increasing. But surely the noise spikes indicate that the line fault is still there or a new one has formed?

Here’s a graph from 29/30th April showing that the line is capable of staying at a steady margin with a decent speed.

2018-04-30-18.28.07-SNRMargin.pngSNRM 29/30th April2018-04-30-18.28.07-Speed.pngSpeed 29th/30th April

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 48 of 56

stable for a couple of days is not going to help much especially when noise margin is still at 11db.  if noise margin continues to yoyo up and down and quiet line is ok and using test socket with new filter then I think next stage is engineer visit

Getting out of banded profile will only solve problem for a short time and as drops in connection start then banding will be back

0 Ratings
a_e
Contributor
Message 49 of 56

Do you think my line is banded at the minute? It was really obvious with my previous banding (2272) but this profile (3072) doesn't seem to match those on Kitz.

Also, as I mentioned before, Openreach are in the area working on various new cabinets for fibre connection. Their fibre journey site has suddenly jumped to the ’Activate’ status as of today so I assume they are probably ‘testing’.

Could this be a cause for the current poor connection, do you think?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 50 of 56

fibre will installation activation by openreach will not affect your adsl connection

you are in a banded profile  https://www.plus.net/help/archive/broadband/broadband-terminology-guide/?supportarchive

0 Ratings