Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Darnicmax
Message 1 of 4

SNR on BT Smart Hub and connection speed

Hello.

Wonder if anyone could help me please?

I live in a rural area and had a line speed of 2.5mbps. Following a visit by an openreach engineer, the speed improved to 4.5mpbs. However, over time the speed gradually slows back down to 2.5 mbps. He explained that the SNR margin may be increased to improve the connection reliability, but possibly at the expense of speed.

I therefore have two questions I would appreciate help on: 1) Is it possible for me to determine what the SNR is currently set to via my BT Smart Hub and 2) is it possible/how would I go about reducing the SNR so I can achieve the 4.5mpbs speeds again? Thank-you.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: SNR on BT Smart Hub and connection speed

If you log in to the hub at 192.168.1.254 and navigate to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information, all the information will be shown.

You cannot do anything to reduce SNRM as it is an automatic process. However, if the speed is dropping it indicates taht there is still a fault with your line. If you carry out a quiet line test by dialling 17070 do you hear any noise? It should be completely silent. You need to carry out the test by connecting to the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket, this will ensure that your internal wiring is disconnected and not affecting the line.

0 Ratings
Darnicmax
Message 3 of 4

Thank-you, will do as you suggest

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi @Darnicmax 

Thanks for your post!

How did you get on trying the advice that @licquorice gave you below and how is your connection performing?  Let us know 😊

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings