cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spdruce
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

SNR prolem......Again!!

I originally posted this on my 'going round in circles' but received no response so am starting a new subject ;

Following a reset by MODS my noise margin sat at around 6.10 between the dates of the stats attached and has now returned to what seems to be my normal of around 9.10 with subsequent reduction in download speed from 2.49Mb to around 1.9Mb. Any explanation as to why my line seems incapable of maintaining an SNR of 6 or thereabouts would be welcome, thank you

06:39:53, 14 Nov.

(413359.330000) DSL noise margin: 21.00 dB upstream, 9.10 dB downstream

06:39:53, 14 Nov.

(413359.240000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 2784 Kbps downstream

22:06:33, 13 Oct.

( 90.840000) DSL noise margin: 20.00 dB upstream, 9.10 dB downstream

22:06:33, 13 Oct.

( 90.770000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 2752 Kbps downstream

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: SNR prolem......Again!!

There could be 101 reasons.

Some lines just don't work well and can't remain stable at a 6db margin whereas others can be perfectly fine on a 3db margin.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
spdruce
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply, however I am not sure that my line could be called stable even with an SNR of around 9. From my home hub stats it appears that a stable connection of more than a couple of weeks is a rarity. Is there nothing that can be done to rectify a line which seems to suffer from a lack of stability.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
spdruce
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Sorry is has taken so long for me to reply. It is a very busy time and I cannot afford to have any disruption to my internet connection in the run-up to Christmas. However, once things have settled down I will do a quiet line test and if there is noise on the line I will have a few stiff drinks, take a very deep breath and call the dreaded 151. Thanks for the help

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Let us know how you get on @spdruce

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below