cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

SNR reset question

Go to solution

Hello. 

Of course, I'm new to this! We've had adsl2 broadband issues for many months now - speeds slowing down and crashing at times, lots of calls to BT, Openreach engineer visits etc. Basic issue is that we are at the wrong end of a long wire 4 miles + from our exchange, with no prospect of fibre coming.

Had an engineer visit a couple of days ago. He replaced a wire nearby and reset the SNR which he said was high at 18 (I think) DB. The engineer reset the SNR to something a lot lower, that seemed to help with speed and stability,  the line speed recovered to a whopping 6+ MBPS, but on checking the SNR today it's gone back to 18 DB. 

I rang BT faults but they told me there was nothing they could do to reset it. Connection speed seems to be on the slide already....

Can anyone help with this please?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: SNR reset question

Go to solution

@andy5023 

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hello, no, totally silent as best I can tell.

I think the most recent engineer's visit fixed the noise issue.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

It should be quiet.

A high resistance connection can cause speed issues, this may not always show up as noise.

Look at the SNR now, then ring your phone number from a mobile and let it ring for a bout 20 seconds before you answer it.

Then  disconnect the broadband input to the home hub for about 30 seconds, then reconnect it again and see if the SNR has dropped back to normal. The high voltage ringing current tends to clear any bad connections which can either be on the external network, on on the exchange ADSL equipment and TAMS (Test Access Matrix) relays.

Its often just a burst of noise that can cause the connection to be degraded, and doing a single disconnection usually fixes it.

I have ADSL myself, and low frequency disturbances can cause issues. Sometime its cause by people working on adjacent pairs.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Hello, that sees to have done the trick, thank you very much for your help Keith.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@andy5023 wrote:

Hello, that sees to have done the trick, thank you very much for your help Keith.

If it happens again, repeat the process.

0 Ratings