For about a week, I've been experiencing some severe latency issues with my BT Broadband connection when downloading files and with general web browsing. I am using a wired connection on Windows 8.1, to a Netgear DGN1000 ADSL router, with the latest firmware. I don't own a BT Home Hub.
I use a BT Openreach ADSL filtered faceplate. I tried connecting to the test socket with a filter, but the router refused to re-sync with the exchange when I did, so I've had to replace the faceplate in order to re-gain sync.
I've been downloading some test files from http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html to test my connection. Sometimes, downloads will complete correctly (the 100MB file typically takes around a minute). Other times, Mozilla Firefox estimates a download time of 15-30 minutes, and nothing seems to happen. I have to cancel the download, refresh the page, and try again.
YouTube videos are occasionally failing to play properly as well, and web pages seem to "freeze" for several seconds before starting up again. Sometimes everything works fine, sometimes it doesn't.
I have run various tests on the line (including dialling 17070, no noise present on the line), and these are the results following a router reboot:
The router's stats are somewhat limited:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 18743 Kbps 1248 Kbps
Line Attenuation 13.0 dB 8.6 dB
Noise Margin 6.0 dB 6.0 dB
Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [220.127.116.11]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 <1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms 18.104.22.168
3 15 ms 14 ms 14 ms 22.214.171.124
4 * * 19 ms 126.96.36.199
5 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms 188.8.131.52
6 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms 184.108.40.206
7 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms acc1-xe-0-2-1.sf.21cn-ipp.bt.net [220.127.116.11]
8 28 ms 27 ms 26 ms core2-te0-2-4-0.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [18.104.22.168]
9 26 ms 26 ms 26 ms 22.214.171.124
10 28 ms 28 ms 27 ms 126.96.36.199
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 26 ms 27 ms 26 ms ae0.er01.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk [188.8.131.52]
13 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms 184.108.40.206
14 30 ms 30 ms 30 ms bbc-vip012.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk [220.127.116.11]
I'm puzzled. I'd be very grateful for some advice. Many thanks.
Thanks for your reply, john46.
The original faceplate was replaced with a new filtered one about 18 months ago by a BT Openreach engineer, after I had reported some noise on the line, which couldn't be reproduced when he visited (he said the line was clear, and I am about half a mile from the exchange). The test socket worked fine in the original socket before then.
There are no additional extensions wired up to the back of the faceplate.