cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PS61
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Short Dropouts still happening after engineer visits.

My speeds dropped from 80mb down to 20mb and I was having dropouts multiple times a day lasting a couple of minutes at a time. A BT engineer came out, said their was nothing wrong with the setup inside the house, confirmed the speed coming in was 18mb instead of 80mb and that I needed an OpenReach engineer. 
The OpenReach engineer did his testing and replaced the socket with the latest frontplate. There were a few longer disconnects later that day as the engineer said there would be, but the speed would return to what I paid for and the dropouts would stop.  
I use Google WiFi connected to the white BT modem but I swapped that setup out for the Smart Hub for the engineer visits. Before I moved back to my Google WiFi setup the Hub Manager was showing a 79mb speed was coming into the hub but still with the occasional dropout (Hub light flashing orange, then back to blue after a couple of minutes.)
I’m wondering what my next step is, since the Google WiFi speed is maxing out at 45. Should I have left the Smart Hub as my router from longer than I did after the engineer visit? The next thing I am thinking is should I replace my DSL cable since everything else has been swapped out/reset?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Short Dropouts still happening after engineer visits.

Can you access the stats in the modem and if so can you post

any line noise. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Hi @PS61 

Please reply with the info that @imjolly is asking for and we'll take things from there 😊

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
PS61
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

I did the quiet line test. I only have a cordless phone so that’s the best I can do. There’s no crackling or anything obvious I’d consider noise, but I’m not an expert.  The speed did rise briefly late last night to between 68-75 but it’s back down to the 40’s today. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Can you post connection stats  

Are the speeds you are quoting in last post download speeds instead of connection speeds?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
PS61
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Those are the downloads speeds. I’d have to swap the Google WiFi + OpenReach modem for the Smart hub to check the connection speed, unless there’s a way to do that when using the OpenReach modem?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

You need to have unlocked modem to get stats otherwise only way is to use hub without the modem

download speeds can fluctuate all the time - are you using Ethernet or wifi to measure download speed?

0 Ratings
PS61
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

So I plugged the Smart Hub back in. In the Hub Manager it’s saying Downstream sync speed 67, Upstream sync speed 20. So I’m still not at the 80 I was getting before. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

if hub connected then post stats  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information

enter phone number and post results  delete number but leave exchange and cab  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

it's common for connection speed to reduce as more people are added to your cabinet due to crosstalk

0 Ratings
PS61
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

D6D28A05-A612-4DF3-9BB6-796900A3D707.jpeg3AF91D74-6568-446F-B8E5-AD17D3FD9C4D.png

0 Ratings