cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Should there be an Open Reach box in our house?

Hi.

We've been having a lot of internet issues in our student house. It's generally very slow and has frequent drop outs. Tried replacing the filter which did nothing. I then contacted the ISP, who confirmed there was no fault in on the line. They then asked for a picture of the setup, and upon seeing it, commented that the router should be plugged into the BT open reach master box, which would be located somewhere in the house.

The thing is, this WAS the master box. It had no BT open reach logo on it, but beneath the front panel is the test socket; so I know this is the master socket. I did some digging and someone told me online that this was in fact, a BT master socket, but one of the old ones from the early 90s.  They suggested that the problems we were having may likely be due to deterioration of the copper. And considering everything else has been ruled out I'm thinking this is indeed the issue. 

So the bottom line is looking like this: the box is old and needs replacing/fixing. Does this sound like the issue? and should we already have an open reach box? are they something that should be standard in most homes by now?

With us living in a student house, I don't know who to contact or who is responsible. 

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/tcWasnT"><a href="//imgur.com/a/tcWasnT"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Many thanks!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Should there be an Open Reach box in our house?

If you are having problems with your broadband then you need to report it to your ISP who should arrange for an openreach engineer visit. The engineer may replace the socket if he thinks that is causing the problem

as you are not a BT broadband customer there is nothing the forum can do to help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

EDIT: Duplicate

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Isn't it BT supplying the cabling and boxes regardless of my ISP? Doesn't Open Reach connect virtually all homes in the UK? And in which case why does our house have a 25 year + box?

I don't understand how it's anything to do with the ISP. We literally live right next door to the BT Open Reach building in our city, yet I have to contact my ISP, who knows nothing/are not qualified to know anything about a physical, acute issue with the networking hardware in the house?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Your contract with your ISP is to provide broadband and line rental so should anything cause you a problem with phone or broadband you report it to your ISP who in turn contact openreach to get engineer visit 

you do not have a contract with openreach your ISP does

just phone your ISP and report a problem

there is no more access from this forum to openreach than your own ISP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

@LG18wrote:

Isn't it BT supplying the cabling and boxes regardless of my ISP? Doesn't Open Reach connect virtually all homes in the UK? And in which case why does our house have a 25 year + box?

I don't understand how it's anything to do with the ISP. We literally live right next door to the BT Open Reach building in our city, yet I have to contact my ISP, who knows nothing/are not qualified to know anything about a physical, acute issue with the networking hardware in the house?

BT and Openreach are two separate entities.

Look at it this way : Both your ISP and BT only provide the broadband service. The infrastructure necessary to do this is provided, commissioned and serviced by Openreach.

Should either your ISP or any of BTs customers have a problem with this infrastructure, then your ISP or BT must contact Openreach.

Report the problem to your ISP and you'll soon be up and running!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

As already said, any interaction with Openreach needs to be done via your service provider , it seems BT Consumer are not your provider so obviously no BT Mod on this forum is able to assist, you may get generic advice , or told to contact your own provider ( perhaps an indication of how good or bad they are is their willingness to do anything for you )
It’s been the case for over a decade that Openreach are in effect just a supplier to the likes of BT, and whoever your provider is,  and they treat all providers the same , the regulator dictates the way end users interact with OR, and that is not directly , you speak to your provider, your provider ( if they think it appropriate) speak to OR.
As far as branding on sockets, OR are not going to visit millions of homes to replace ‘BT’ branded master sockets with OR branded ones for no other reason to remove the BT brand, your provider presumably didn’t to a particular good job of explaining that to you, if your provider states your line is testing OK, you could always insist they do more, but be aware that if your provider asks OR to visit , and no fault is found on what OR are responsible for , then OR could charge your provider for the unnecessary visit, and your provider charges  you something too, they should advise you beforehand of this possibility, it’s then up to you to either accept the possibility.

Its not a guaranteed charge , just if the problem is after the master socket and not before it , with a few exceptions , if the line were damaged within the property but before the master socket , for example, if the wire before the socket were chewed by a dog, that’s not really a Openreach’s fault, even though it’s before the master socket, and there would be a charge to repair it.

0 Ratings