cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Signed up to broadband without permission?

An elderly friend who is stone deaf called me and claims someone has “put her on broadband”.

She is a BT phone customer but only for calls. Surely someone else could not do this without her permission, since she is totally deaf I can not speak with her only listen!

I should not visit her under the current conditions but may have to.

Anyone got any thoughts about this please?

Colin

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Signed up to broadband without permission?

Hi @Colly-FC,

Welcome back to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post. I'm sorry to hear that your friend has had broadband added to her account with her permission. 

We would need to take a look at the account to see what happened, normally full validation would be required before any services could be added to an account. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thank you very much for your reply.

She called again and was so upset that I decided I had to visit her taking the necessary precautions.

She had indeed received a letter from BT with an order number and all the usual details absolutely genuine. As she was adamant that she did not want BB and had not ordered it herself, I called the 0800 number and spoke to a most helpful man. After taking my details and linking me to her account he has now cancelled the order. He thought it may have been done through an internet site but could not confirm.

I suppose she may have been called and not able to hear anything, was taken to have agreed.

Is it possible for someone to add broadband to your BT phone service without your permission?

Regards,

Colin

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@Colly-FC

I'm glad to hear you were able to get it sorted.

I'm not sure why the adviser was not able to tell you how the service was ordered as it's easy to see on our system if the order was placed online or over the phone. It is possible that somebody other than the account holder could have placed the order however this person would have had to pass validation by providing the customers personal information including account number.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 6

Sounds very strange, what was the full 0800 number you rang to speak to BT

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Yes, it was the full BT number given in the genuine letter from BT. I see where you are going with this but I am happy that I spoke to the “real” BT!

0 Ratings