Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brianbru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Slow Broad Band Can Anyone Help Please

Hi

I wondered if anyone could help me with my broadband which has been reducing in speed over last few weeks dropping from a 4 meg connection, and now  at the level of 2.5 meg.

I,ve restarted a few times over the last week, thinking this might help but on reading the forms, note this was not the best thing to do.

I've now had my router connected for 3 days, with no speed improvement.

I have my router connected to an extension socket.  I did try a speed test via the master test socket with the results the same. 

Here are my hub info settings today :  

Help | A-Z
homeservicessettingstroubleshooting
WirelessBroadbandHome NetworkPort ForwardingSystemBasic Settings
InternetConnectionVPNDynamic DNS
ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:3 days, 02:52:33
Downstream:2.93 Mbps
Upstream:912 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):10.7 dB / 5.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):55.7 dB / 33.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):17.9 dBm / 12.8 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 55385
CRC Events (Down/Up):4026 / 14409
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):5537 / 383584
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):3590 / 9112

Hide details

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.11 (Type A) | Time and date 10:29 25/02/14
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Slow Broad Band Can Anyone Help Please

the problem is your noise margin is higher than normal 6db resulting in lower connection speed.  as you have a stable connection for 3 days and stats look ok ok fast latency the mods will post a contact us link and reset your noise margin 

just stay connected with no manual resets

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Hi brianbru,

Thanks for posting!

I'm sorry for the problems you're having with your broadband speed.  I can help reduce the noise margin to push your connection speed in the right direction Smiley Happy

Click on my username and under the "about me" section you'll see the link to get in touch with us.  Please include the link to this thread when you complete the form and whenever we've received your details we'll take it from there.

Thanks a million,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
brianbru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Hi

Thank you for such a quick reponse, Im about 1 mile  from exchange , have always been a bit disappointed in my download speed. With these figures any ideas what speeds I might get. Am I on best adsl connection type, thank again

Brian

0 Ratings
brianbru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Hi

Thank you for such a fast response,  I copied link into email as per your instructions, I'll not reset router, Just a question out of curiosity.

When I checked speed  using test socket  it was the same,  would you get less errors using test socket and  would a speed increase connected to master socket take a few days to improve.

If this was the case eventually could connect to it, my problem is master socket is on ground floor and our living quarters is upstairs , so router needed there for all my wired connections,

With these figures, what kind of speeds are possible for me ,

many thanks again

Brian

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

from your attenuation you are about 4km from the exchange so a bit further than you think hence why the conenction speed.  you can check here 

check speed

test socket should be the best connection as that eliminates any problems caused by you internal wiring.  your speed will increase after the mods reset your noise margin back to normal 6db

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
brianbru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Hi

Thank you very much for info, understand a little better now

Brian

0 Ratings
brianbru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Hi

Will I receive any confirmation from BT when my connection has been optimised again.

My speed is still sitting around 2.6 meg

thank you

Brian
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

as I said in my previous post  - the mods will contact you in 3/5 working days after submitting the email either by phone or email  after submitting email you join a queue of others waiting for mod help

brianbru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Hi

Please find my stats this morning. Mods kindly emailed me saying they would rset my noise margin, note my router has restarted 12 hrs ago.

My speed has increased from 2.5 meg to 3.5 meg, every little helps when you have a relatively slow connection, should it increase further after a few days, will my line profile go higher.

Home Image not loadedTesting Image not loadedResult Image not loaded

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 3.55 Mbps

0 Mbps4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.55 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 3.58 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.52 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.52Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

hub settings :

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 12:33:39
Downstream:3.961 Mbps
Upstream:696 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast