Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pine
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Slow Broadband Issues - throughput and IP profile

Hi,

I have been helped a few times in the last years by the Moderators of this Forum, which were the only reasons I remained with BT, so would hope to get help again with an issue tha presented itself since a couple of days. No particular help from the telephone cusotmer service, as usual....

Basically, my BT Broadband is normally at an IP Profile of approx. 4mb, with a download speed of 4mb and upload speed of 800kb. I have BT home hub 4 which normally syncs very close to the above values.

However, a few days ago there was a disconnection (just once), and the hub reconnected at about 3mb download 700kb upload. Yesterday, with the hub still connected at those sync speeds (i.e no more disconnections), I noticed the internet was unusable, and running speed tester found the download throughput speed was almost zero. After 1 hour, it went back up again to approx. 2.5mb download, then after some time again down to near unusable. The upload speed was unaffected, and the hub did not lose disconnection. There has been this issue since, and I attach below two images showign the bt speed test made at a distance of 1 hour showing the parameters.

New Picture.png

New Picture2.png

Previous issues I had on the line had to do with problems on the actual copper between the cabinet and exchange, which were eventually sorted after intervention of Moderators. I don't think this time the problem is an issue on the actaul coppers, as there are no disconnections, but there is high instability in the throughput speed. I also noticed from the checks that the IP profile, whcih usedto be approx. 4mb, has dropped to 2.93mb, and the max dowmload speed I am getting is about 2.5-2.8 now.

Can I please ask advice on what to do to solve this, customer service by phone could see there is slow speed but was of no help ratehr than suggest monitoring how it goes... I would really like a Moderator to look into the line to see where the issue can be and maybe advise if a re-profile is possible, bearing in mind the hub connection seems stable.

Also I am at the master socket, ethernet cabel and 1 computer only at moment and no issues whatsoever at my end.

Thanks

Pine

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Slow Broadband Issues - throughput and IP profile

if you have extension sockets in other rooms cab you try conencting to the test socket to eliminate internal wiring problems

try quiet line tes  dial 17070 option 2   should be quiet and best with corded phone

your profile is 88.2% of your conenction speed so to get a higher profile you beed a faster conenction speed

if you go to hub manager then helpdesk and logs/wan and post the 2 lines together which show your connection speed and your noise margin

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pine
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the reply, 17070 option 2 is clear, I am connected to test socket and the values for the hub are as per below:

16:29:04,14 Feb. ( 108.390000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 7.20 dB downstream

16:29:00, 14 Feb. ( 104.650000) DSL line rate: 859 Kbps upstream, 3864 Kbps downstream

Unfortunately, nothwistandign those values, it is now 2 hours that the speed is almost zero and can barely browse, right now is

New Picture.png

I could do with some help from moderators as I have practically no internet now.

pine

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

as you are on adsl2 your profile is correct as it is 88.2% of your connection speed  so to get higher profile you need faster connection speed

can you run btspeedtster again but this time run diagnostic test that follows first test - must be done wired 

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pine
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Hi,

Unofortunately as you can see the download speed is now so low that the connection times out so I cannot run any test at present.

How many days without usable Internet should we be before requesting compensation from BT? I also pay BT SPort that cannot see now

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

if you are connected to the test socket with a new filter and using ethernet conenction to pc is your download speed low all day or only at peak times?

check to see if there are any exchange problems  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

0 Ratings
pine
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Hi thanks, I am connected to test socket with ethernet. Today has been horrible all day, I now just managed to run the tests again as requested, here they are:

New Picture.png

New Picture (2).png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

did you check the links for problems in your area?  is speed low all the time or just peak times.  do you know if neighbours are also have problesm with slow download speed?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
pine
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Hi, It seems the problem is there all the time both peak and off peak. Checked with neighbours and they have no issues, also checked issues in the links above and nothing reported in our area, so we are at a loss, even cannot look at emails now.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

if your neighbours are not experiencing problems with download spped and they are not on cable then it does not appear to be exchange congestion problem and more likely a problem with just your conenction.  have you tried phoning customer services and getting engineer visit? 

Faults  0330 123 4567

0 Ratings