cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Slow Broadband Speed intermittently!!

Hi. Thanks for reading this post.

I have a HH2 and a copper connection. At least once a week my download speed drops to well below 1 Megabits per second, which is very frustrating. I have complained to BT a number of times without success.

I am hoping a fellow forum user can assist me in case the settings are wrong on my modem, I have tried changing modems as I have a spare HH, and also all the cables & filers, I have also moved my router close to the BT wallplug rather that the previous wired connection, and connect via Wifi to no help.

I believe I can pay for a BT Engineer to check my system out, is this a worthwhile option?

Regards Tony Campbell 

My HH2 data is as follows

Product nameBT Smart Hub 2  
Serial number1924098861   
Fireware versionv0.26.03.01286-BT (Thu Jan 28 17:38:02 2021)
Board versionR01   
GUI version1.74 12_11_2020  
DSL uptime0 days 16 Hours 48 Mins 4 Secs 
Data rate1.2 Mbps / 22.4 Mbps  
Maximum Data rate1.2 Mbps / 24.6 Mbps  
Noise margin6.4/3.6   
Line attenuation5.0/7.0   
Signal attenuation5.0/7.6   
VPI/VCI0/38   
ModulationG.992.5(ADSL2+)  
Upstream error controlOff   
Downstream error controlOff   
Data sent / received2.1 GB Uploaded / 2.1 GB Downloaded
Broadband usernamebthomehub@btbroadband.com 
BT Wi-FiNot active   
2.4 GHz wireless network nameBT-X6A8WS   
2.4 GHz wireless channelSmart (Channel6)  
5 GHz wireless network nameBT-X6A8WS   
5 GHz wireless channelSmart (Channel44)  
Wireless SecurityWPA2 (Recommanded)  
Wireless modeMode 1   
FirewallOn   
MAC address04:A2:22:3B:4E:2E  
Software variant-   
Boot loader 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017) 
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Slow Broadband Speed intermittently!!

please delete email address as this is public form and you may get more spam than you can handle

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for your advice, I have now edited my post and deleted my email address.

Regards 

Tony Campbell

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

@TonyC5  Tony, the results show it is your UPLOAD speed that is 1mbs. Your download is good at over 20mbs.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

your connection time is only 16hrs was that manual reset or router dropping connection?

you have a great connection for adsl2+ and must live next door to the exchange.  when you get download problem are you using wifi or ethernet?

With SH2 you cannot split the networks but I would suggest you select channels manually instead of leaving on auto select maybe use wifi analyser on phone to see which is best channels for you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 10

Thanks, I live less than 100m from the exchange, yet I cannot get fibre broadband despite living in London!!

The slow speeds occur previously with Ethernet, and currently with Wifi.

The connection time of only 16hrs was due to me trying another SH2 that BT sent me, which they told me would solve my problems, which I didn't .

Thanks for your suggestion re select channels manually, I will give it a try.

Many thanks for your time.

Regards 

Tony Campbell

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Thanks Carlusha.

Regards 

Tony Campbell

Message 8 of 10

Tony,

Good evening , I'm on the same set up as you and experienced the same issues the other year, Touched base with BT presumed it was the micro filter and sent me two new ones out in the post. Issue resolved. Last week I had the same issues, swapped the micro filter this afternoon, back to normal. Worth a shot.

That said, I will be looking at leaving BT for Virgin simply as I am currently paying for 16Mbps and getting around 10Mbps and for a few quid more, Virgin can supply me with 100Mbps. But good luck with your issue.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Thanks Farouk.

I did replace the ADSL filter as part of my attempts to cure the problem, but only with a similar BT one, however after your post, I have ordered another one via Amazon, and will give a try.

I will post again later in the week.

Regards 

Tony Campbell

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Hi @TonyC5  and thanks for posting.

I'd be interested to hear if you tried a new filter or if you've managed to solve this. Can you post back and let me know?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings