cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScanScan
Message 1 of 11

Slow Broadband after yet another landline fault

Hi,

Any help and advice gratefully received.   

Our broadband is never fast at the best of times but has been pathetic recently running at a download of 0.35Mbps.

We stay on an island and landline maintenance is to such a low standard that it would not be tolerated on the mainland.   Frequent runs of cable are over ground,    ie not on poles, but literally over ground,  running along and across ditches, over farm tracks,  along  road verges etc.    Running in this way breakages are frequent and repairs  are always to joint in yet another piece of cable rather than effect a more permanent repair.  Perhaps I should be asking the question why our landline still works rather than why the broadband is so slow?   Enough of this digression................

Since our most recent landline fault on 1st August  ( this took 15 days to effect a repair ) broadband has been very poor.   From past experience and frequent lengthy but ineffective calls to BT faults all the house wiring is bypassed with the  BT Home Hub 3 is connected to the inner socket on master socket.   My PC is connected by ethernet to the Home Hub via a filter.    Both the Home Hub 3 and filter are less than two months old.

Testing carried out from the remote Helpdesk suggests that there are fault(s) on the line but local engineering staff appear to be able to close down these fault reports without materially improving the situation or contacting me as the customer.

From the ADSL status information from my Hub which I have provided below can someone advise what Broadband speed is attainable and how I can go about getting it ?

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 01:37:41
Downstream:480 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):15.1 dB / 9.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):68.9 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):15.7 dBm / 12.1 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):614 / 6
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 1
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):41 / 121
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Slow Broadband after yet another landline fault

Your line attenuation is huge, the largest value I have ever seen.  That could mean you have a bad joint somewhere along the line - in fact I hope it does because otherwise I don't think anything can be done.  Is the phone line quiet when nobody is speaking?

0 Ratings
ScanScan
Message 3 of 11

For phone purposes the line is quiet -   there is no background that I can hear using  17070   quiet line test

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

With your attenuation I would hope for about 1/1.2mb on a good line with no noise. Your noise margin is high at 15db and connection time very short is that due to manual reset or router dropping connection

If you can stay connected 24/7 then noise margin will reduce with increases in speed. If you can get 3+days stable connection time then repost stats and mods may help reduce noise margin

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ScanScan
Message 5 of 11

I reset router to factory settings at 12:00 today on instruction of help desk.   Since then the router must have dropped connection at least once because of the length of connection time.    I do tend to leave router switched on 24/7 .

It is almost 7 days since the "repair" of the landline was completed and in that time it looks as if it has not achieved 3+ days of stable connection.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Unless you can maintain a stable connection your noise margin will not reduce allowing your speed to increase. Even getting the noise margin reset by the mods would only work for a few days and the drops in connection will just increase the noise margin and drop the speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

just a matter of checking your hub stats daily
0 Ratings
ScanScan
Message 8 of 11

Little hope of being able to keep the hub running 24/7.

It's reset again and downstream is even slower than before

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Connection time:0 days, 00:24:13
Downstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
Noise margin (Down/Up):15.2 dB / 9.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):69.3 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):15.6 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):2 / 5
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):49 / 165
0 Ratings
ScanScan
Message 9 of 11

Checked again this morning.   Hub had reset at approx 8:30 and may have also reset several times through the night.

If the Hub cannnot run for an extended period to "heal" itself and Openreach are not prepared to trace and fix duff connections Broadband for us is in limbo.   What mechanisms are there for raising complaints before taking the ultimate step of telling BT what to do with their Broadband ?

latest stats below

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Connection time:0 days, 00:42:49
Downstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
Noise margin (Down/Up):14.1 dB / 10.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):69.1 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):15.3 dBm / 12.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):19 / 9
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):62 / 207
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

i think yo need the forum mods help with problem once the have read your post  they will reply here with a contact link 

0 Ratings