TobiasRieper
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Slow Broadband speed and drop out

Go to solution

Good afternoon,

Request for advice please.

Last year (June 2018) I posted here re my slow broadband issue:

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-broadband/Very-Low-Broadband-Speed/m-p/1855203#M272080

In summary, BT put my internet broadband speed back up to the required agreement of between 5.5 – 7.5 Mbps.

Incidentally, as advised by a community member at that time, I did purchase a £5 corded phone and did a ‘quiet line’ test etc and found everything to be working correctly my side.

However, what I did find when picking up the receiver to use it was that my router started to flash orange. I thought this strange, but as I don’t use a landline (I only bought it for the test) I didn’t worry too much about it.

I do sometimes have periods throughout the time I moved into my flat (nearly 3 years now) where my broadband does drop out for very long periods (router flashes orange) i.e. 30 mins to on one occasion 2.5 hours, but most of the time it is fine. However, it is not perfect and it shouldn’t be doing that really, and when it does it is frustrating.

I googled the issue and found this link here where another BT customer suffered a very similar thing:

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Broadband-disconnecting-when-phone-rings-also-can-be-...

I felt for him as if you read the above link, it took about a year+ to finally sort it out. The final entry was his him explaining how it was fixed, I pleased to report this is now sorted, an engineer has visited and replaced the drop wire and carried out a lift and shift to move the connection to a different port to repair this fault.”

This week, again, my internet speed dropped to 2.5Mbps. I contacted BT so hopefully this evening they are going to call me back.

Shall I mention the above to them and request an experienced engineer to visit and bring to their attention this ‘lift and shift connection to a different port’ procedure to repair this fault?

Lastly, I don’t mind paying the £130 fee but would be loathed to pay knowing that it is a BT fault and they then try and make out that it is my fault my end. And of course, I am concerned that this is going to take ages by BT as the above customer experienced.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Slow Broadband speed and drop out

Go to solution

Did you recheck for noise again, using the phone you bought?

Plugging a phone in should not cause the broadband to disconnect, if everything is correctly wired.

Its best to check it this way.

adsl_test.jpg

0 Ratings
TobiasRieper
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution
I can check it again this evening.

It wasn't when I plugged it in, it was when I picked up the receiver to make a call is when the router started to flash orange.

But, this very same thing happened to that BT customer no?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

It should not cause the connection to drop, if you pick up the phone. There are a number of things that can cause this, so your case may not be the same.

If you do not get dial tone, then that would indicate a possible disconnection on one wire, and that would cause any existing slow connection to drop.

0 Ratings
TobiasRieper
Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Ok Keith, I'll do the test again this evening and see if it does it again (from the test socket).  If it does, then something is clearly still wrong and I am guessing to request an engineer possibly?

0 Ratings
TobiasRieper
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution
Hi Keith

I’ve done the quiet line test on the master test socket and it wasn’t deadly silent as you suggest. There was a faint noise in the background which I can best describe of what sounded like a small release of air from a balloon if that makes sense.

I then (from the master test socket) plugged into the filter the router and again when I picked up the landline receiver the router hub went flashing orange.

Once I completed the test and put back the face plate etc and plugged back in the router it took a while for it to go a stable blue, flashing orange for quite a bit.

I then did a internet speed test and it was very very low 0.2.

What should I do next, report a landline fault on 151 not mentioning broadband?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

As this is a repeat fault, I will ask a moderator to manage it.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
TobiasRieper
Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you Keith.

Update:

Since my last post and this morning, I took the initiative to call 151 and report a landline fault (I did not mention Broadband as advised, but the man obviously knew about the issue as he saw previously reported problems).  They are sending a BT engineer this Friday 8th March between 8am-1pm FYI where the man said the engineer will inspect outside and inside.

The man did say to me that when he was testing it there was or what appeared to be a network exchange issue on my line and then proceeded to say was a common problem apparently.  Obviously, I don't know whether he was saying that this was in my particular case or just generic in what he says to customers but hopefully the engineer will fix the issue.

When the engineer arrives, shall I tell him about the 'flashing orange light' on the router problem when I pick up the receiver ?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

@TobiasRieperwrote:

When the engineer arrives, shall I tell him about the 'flashing orange light' on the router problem when I pick up the receiver ?

Yes.

0 Ratings
TobiasRieper
Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution
Good evening,

Update:

BT engineer attended this afternoon and acknowledged the noise on the line and was very thorough in the process of elimination. He cleared the line noise which apparently came from the local cabinet.

Anyhow, to cut along stories short, regrettably when we tested the landline, the router still started to flash orange.

So, back to square one. Speaking with the engineer he stated that to report the fault to BT as a ‘broadband fault’ as he had fixed the noise on the line.

Please would you help me and confirm this is what I should do, or should I wait for a moderator to contact me via PM and let him/her do this on my behalf?

Many thanks.
0 Ratings