cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 31 of 75

Re: Slow Internet - mods please assist.

@umpire wrote:

ADSL1 uses certain set down IP profiles that certain ranges of down connection rate map onto.

ADSL2/2+ uses a down IP profile that is set to 88.2% of the down connection rate. This is true in your case.

I'm actually going to question my own statements now. Smiley Happy

@imjolly

Would it be more correct to say that 20CN equipment uses certain fixed IP profiles and 21CN equipment uses 88.2% for ADSL?

Is it possible still to be on ADSL Max (ADSL1) on 21CN equipment and use 88.2%, or does ADSL Max always use fixed IP profiles?

Anyway, I'm assuming that TiRich is on just a slow connection WBC ADSL2+ service? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 32 of 75

TiRich,

These are I think the common ADSL modulation modes.

ITU G.992.1 = ADSL1   (a.k.a. G.dmt)

ITU G.992.3 = ADSL2   (a.k.a. G.dmt.bis)

ITU G.992.5 = ADSL2+ (a.k.a. G.dmt.bis+ or G.adslplus)

Could ADSL_G.dmt be just a generic term used by your modem covering all of the above?

Does it give the actual G.992.x number anywhere?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 75

@umpire wrote:

@umpire wrote:

ADSL1 uses certain set down IP profiles that certain ranges of down connection rate map onto.

ADSL2/2+ uses a down IP profile that is set to 88.2% of the down connection rate. This is true in your case.

I'm actually going to question my own statements now. Smiley Happy

@imjolly

Would it be more correct to say that 20CN equipment uses certain fixed IP profiles and 21CN equipment uses 88.2% for ADSL?

Is it possible still to be on ADSL Max (ADSL1) on 21CN equipment and use 88.2%, or does ADSL Max always use fixed IP profiles?

Anyway, I'm assuming that TiRich is on just a slow connection WBC ADSL2+ service? 

you can be on adslmax but be using the 88.2% profile.  the majority of adslmax are still on the bands but there is no way to tell which until the OP post btspeedtester diagnostic test

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Guru
Message 34 of 75

@imjolly wrote:

and often with adslmax it shows 0.6 - 7.15mb

Yes, it obviously represents an acceptable range of possible downstream IP profile based roughly on your line characteristics and product, rather than an acceptable download speed range based on your current IP profile (which is based on your current connection speed). I do think BT Wholesale could make it a bit clearer.

I'm never going to get 21Mbps download speed with my attenuation and connection speed consistently below 18Mbps with the associated even lower 88.2% IP profile. Smiley LOL

Going by the modem reported max attainable connection speed TiRich is never going to get a download speed of 4Mbps either!

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 75

@umpire wrote:

@imjolly wrote:

and often with adslmax it shows 0.6 - 7.15mb

Yes, it obviously represents an acceptable range of possible downstream IP profile based roughly on your line characteristics and product, rather than an acceptable download speed range based on your current IP profile (which is based on your current connection speed). I do think BT Wholesale could make it a bit clearer.

I'm never going to get 21Mbps download speed with my attenuation and connection speed consistently below 18Mbps with the associated even lower 88.2% IP profile. Smiley LOL

Going by the modem reported max attainable connection speed TiRich is never going to get a download speed of 4Mbps either!

that is consistent with the customers who show 7.15mb - many will be lucky to get half of that.  should be more like the infinity results but I doubt wholesale will change the adsl btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
TiRich
Contributor
Message 36 of 75

The Billion modem allows for the different modes as shown below. ADSL2 and ADSL2+ are not active. OnlyG.DMT is ticked but it doesn't copy the tick. 

Parameters
ModulationG.Dmt   G.lite   T1.413   ADSL2   AnnexL   ADSL2+   AnnexM   VDSL2
Profile8a   8b   8c   8d   12a   12b   17a  
US0Enable  
Phone line pairInner pair   Outer pair
CapabilityBitswap   SRA
PhyR

The modem allows for SNR tweeking but it is currently set to 6dB

And thanks for the help!

0 Ratings
TiRich
Contributor
Message 37 of 75

Todays BT Wholesale Speed test is similar. What i dont understand is that i am getting more than 88.2% of the IP profile??

IP profile = 2.51 Mbps

Download Speed = 2.45Mbps (97.6% of the IP Profile Speed)

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 2.45 Mbps

0 Mbps4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.45 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 2.51 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.54 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.54Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
0 Ratings
TiRich
Contributor
Message 38 of 75

Routerstats does work so i will log the Noise Margin for 24 hours.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 75

I think you have misunderstood. Your profile is 88.2% of your connection speed. Your download speed can be anything but normally it should be less than your profile

TiRich
Contributor
Message 40 of 75

OK that's clear now thank you!

After monitoring the SNR it is stable at 7dB but with some instantaneous peaks up to 12.5dB. This doesn't however cause the line to drop at all. As we have been out all night i can isolate down to a fridge or freezer unit i guess?
0 Ratings