cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GarethJP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Slow Rural Speed - Neighbours Speed Faster

Hi, does anyone know if this is correct. I live in a row of 19 houses about 4 miles from exchange, therefore connection for all houses are all coming from the same cabinet/Same street connection. We all get low connection speeds (max around 3mbps) but I seem to have the lowest at around 1mbps. I have only been with BT since July 17. I have contacted BT and they state that my line is only capable of 1.5 Mbps and because they only guaranteed 1mbps, they will do nothing. When I asked why neighbours speeds were faster, they stated that the neighbours lines may have been prioritied at the exchange. Also when I asked why the software on the hub was showing a connection speed of 1.06mbps and not 1.5 they stated well 1.5 is what they can see from their graphs. I did have a new line installed about 18 months ago. My issue is that I feel that BT should really be doing more to try and get my connection speed to a suitable level. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Gareth
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Slow Rural Speed - Neighbours Speed Faster

Can you post the connection stats from the router

Can you also put your number into here https://www.dslchecker.bt.com and post up a screenshot of the result.

What speed does your neighbour get?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

When I asked why neighbours speeds were faster, they stated that the neighbours lines may have been prioritied at the exchange.

Total Rubbish
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

ADSL comes from the exchange your distance from the cabinet means nothing on standard broadband
0 Ratings
GarethJP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

IMG_0678.PNG

0 Ratings
GarethJP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Neighbours are receiving 2 to 3 Mbps. I have checked with them. Four of us are with BT, in the direct same row, I.e. Number 5- 3mbps, myself max 1.06mbps, Number 7 and 8 around 2.3mbps.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Are you connected to the master socket or an extension?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 13

Please post your Home Hub router stats
Learn how from here Broadband Top Tips

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

GarethJP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Straight into master test socket, there are no other extensions in the house. Also BT installed new cable from street connection to my property about 18 months when I was receiving only 0.4mbps
0 Ratings
GarethJP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

IMG_0676.PNG

0 Ratings