cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ibanez
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Slow download speed in the evening. No help from BT.

Hi All

I've been with BT (as a broadband customer) for 2 months and every day since day one, when my service went live, I see the same problem with my download speeds - slowing down (roughly from 5 to 1 Mbps) in the evening on weekdays and in the early afternoon on weekends and holidays. It's fine at other times and in line what I should expect from my line, judging from its statistics.

So far I've logged two faults with BT. I did mention that the line rate is fine and so is the connection to the exchange, yet the only response to the first fault from BT was (I remove the usual "Thank you for your email..." and quote their reply): "and the bb is not working into that socket becoz the adsl filter can be faulty so i m sending a new filter". Problem completely misunderstood.

The second fault I logged was just put in 'ongoing' state for a week, then closed without even contacting me. Needless to say, the fault still exists.

I'm about to give up completely and move to another provided, as to me BT have proven that this is the best option, but before I do so, I will try to get help here.

So, if anyone can suggest how to get this fault fixed, please let me know.

As I said, my line rate is stable at about 6.5 Mbps. My connection never drops. I reset my router maybe once a week, just to see how the modem will resync and it always syncs at a good rate. I have my BT HomeHub 3 connected into the test socket via ADSLNation XTE-2005 faceplate (which by the way gives me about 1.5 Mbps higher sync than any other filter I've tried) and there is no other wiring in the house. My PC is connected via ethernet and the Home Hub stats are:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:                    Connected
Connection time:               0 days, 11:21:13
Downstream:                    6.406 Mbps
Upstream:                      448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:                       0/38
Type:                          PPPoA
Modulation:                    G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:                  Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):        6.0 dB / 20.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):    38.1 dB / 23.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):        19.9 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):          10173 / 2
CRC Events (Down/Up):          428 / 7
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):  0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):          1431 / 2
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):  370 / 4

I've also tried a Netgear modem. It synced at about the same speed, with the same SNR margin.

I've been running speed tests on http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ for the past few weeks and they clearly show the problem and the pattern, which is:

1) in the morning:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.34 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :6.66 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 5.5 Mbps

2) in the evening:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.7 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :6.66 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 5.5 Mbps

I hope someone can help me. As I'm locked in my contract (still 16 months to go), I would rather not have to pay BT for their "service".

I should add that in November the PlusNet page here: http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Hindhead&exact=1214&plugin=vp was showing my exchange as "Virtual paths: Amber" and there was a note that some customers will experience reduced speed at busy times, so the issue was acknowledged by at least one provider and eventually resolved in mid December. PlusNet definitely seems to care more about their broadband customers than BT do.

Kind regards

I.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Slow download speed in the evening. No help from BT.

If it is a VP problem it is out of BT retail your supplier control they have to wait like every other ISP until BT wholesale carry out network upgrades on your exchange changing ISP' s will not resolve your problem and will cost you a considerable sum in cancellation fees for the outstanding period of your contract 

Unfortunatly all you can do is wait as the problem affects many users on the exchange with all ISP' s 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Ibanez
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for reply John.

BT Retail may have to wait for BT Wholesale to sort the exchange equipment out, but it would have been nice for them to not ignore customers' calls and not to close them without any action.

If PlusNet webpage I mentioned is to be believed, then at least PlusNet did resolve the problem for their users, so if BT Retail showed any interest in keeping customers happy, they would at least acknowledge the problem.

Still, according to BT Broadband Availability Checker, my exchange is to be upgraded to ADSL 2+ in four weeks, so I will probably just wait and see how that upgrade goes (provided it's not rescheduled).

At the moment I'm still keen to end my contract with BT at first opportunity. I've moved house and dealt with several broadband providers in the last 10 years and each one of them had better customer service than the one offerred by BT.

Best regards

I.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

the virtual paths are used by all isps and when a path is congested affects all ISP's using that path are affected
0 Ratings