cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robertsb
Message 1 of 7

Slow downloads, IP Profile set low. Used to be OK!

Hi -

Back in April I was achieving 5mbps  download speeds but now I'm only getting 0.22mbps speeds, and nothing has changed at my end.  BTW speed test reports my IP profile is set to 0.25mbps.  I'm going through the process of trying to get some sort of useful help from the BT help desk, but this is proving to be a bit of a trial.  Although they initially said there was a problem at the exchange, they later said that there wasn't.  I've now got my BT Home bub connected directly to the master socket and I'm getting the following  -

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.24 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.37Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

1. Product Name: HomeHub4
2. Serial number: +076281+1530004328
3. Firmware version: v0.07.03.30329-BT (Type B) Last updated 11/7/2016
4. Board version: 01A
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 10:19:42
6. Data Rate: 444 / 283
7. Maximum Data Rate: 1096 / 8504
8. Noise Margin: 26.6 / 15.3
9. Line Attenuation: 24.0 / 38.0
10. Signal Attenuation: 24.5 / 41.5
11. Data sent/received: 11.0 MB / 23.1 MB
<snip>
24. VPI/VCI: 0/38
25. Modulation: G.992.5(ADSL2+)
26. Latency type: Interleaved
27. Software variant: -
28. Boot loader: 0.5.0-BT (Wed Nov 12 11:47:59 2014)

I don't know if this a good noise margin or not?  The quiet line test has some background hum but this is on an (old) wireless handset.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Many thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Slow downloads, IP Profile set low. Used to be OK!

you need to maintain a stable connection for the next 3/5 days to allow your noise margin to reset to its default of 6dB your IP Profile will increase automatically as soon as your connection speed starts to increase I would suggest now avoiding the help line as they will start by getting you to restart your hub which is only going to increase the time period for the connection to stabilise
0 Ratings
robertsb
Message 3 of 7

Thanks john46 I wondered if this might be the case.  I've got an engineer booked for Monday but I'd rather they didn't come round and decide to charge £130 to replace cabling to my house if that's not where the problem is.

So, provided the hub stays connected and on you'd expect the noise margin to gradually decrease to 6dB?  Presumably if there is a cabling problem then this won't happen (or the connection wil keep dropping).

Once the noise margin decreases will there be a delay before the IP profile gets reset?  Again, thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

stats look like a banded profile - have you been having problesm with router dropping connection or maual resets or a combination of both?  solution is same as john46 said   maintain a stable conenction 24;/7 and banding will release with noise margin dropping and speed increasing  your profile will increase as and when your conenction speed increases - profile 88.2% of connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
robertsb
Message 5 of 7

Hmm, have had to reset a few times recently.  It's only when I've started doing research that I doscovered this can cause problems!  Did have the flashing orange light of doom a few times. 

Also, when we went on holiday for a week I truned the router off.  Could this have added to the problems?  I guess I'll see how it goes until Sunday and then take a view on whether I need to cancel the engineer's visit on Monday.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

turning router off when going on holiday should not cause a problem it is more drops in conenction and/or manual resets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Shush41
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

I have been posting this on every slow speed thread. I had a similar horrendous slow speed. Might as well have been on dial-ip.

My prob was caused by my switching the router on/off daily and so the line thought there was a fault and slowed the speed down.

Even after leaving the router on for days, the speed did not increase.

The only solution was for an engineer to come and do a hard reset on the phone line. I do not know if this can be done from the exchange but cust support not very clued in. Maybe someone else will know on this forum

Hope this helps

0 Ratings