cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Slow internet all of a sudden

Hey guys,

I have been staying at my current property for a year and have gotten a consistent speed of around 16-18 mbps via BT's ADSL service. Two weeks ago however, it has been all over the place. Sometimes it is at 2 mbps, sometimes at 10. I can't work properly because my remote desktop is too slow! I move my mouse and it moves 2 seconds later. Conference calls over the internet have gotten worse as well.

I called up BT and they say that I should only be getting around 4mbps so they claim that they were in fact outperforming when they delivered 17mbps. 

The way I see it, I had 17mbps for a year with no issues, so something must have gone wrong. Does anyone know what could have gone wrong? I read this post and apparently the 'exchange' can slow your connection if it thinks you have issues. Can I not tell this 'exchange' to put it back up to what it was?

Here is my current setup.

Please let me know what you think.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Slow internet all of a sudden

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

what is the socket below the master socket where you are currently connected 

please post information here instead of links

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thanks. I don't have a landline phone unfortunately so can't do that.
I have a Home Hub 4 - how do i get the technical log info from that? Can't seem to find it in advanced settings or troubleshooting.
The socket below seems to be Master Socket 5c.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

The most basic check for broadband problems is to see if your landline is working and if there is a dial tone to then check if there is any noise on the line

without basic information no point in making changes to your setup 

this may help with stats

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings