Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MrAxlee
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Slow internet speed with appauling customer service. Not sure where to go next

I started my connection at the start of November. We were told our speeds may be slow for a few days, which we allowed for.

After a week of waiting, out internet was still averaging around 100kb/s - a tenth of what we're guaranteed as minimum. I've rarely seen it go higher than this.

I decided to phone customer service, who acted very concerned. They said they had found a problem with our line and it should be fixed within 2 days. Sounded great, so we waited 2 days, then another day, and our internet was still at the same speed. I phoned up again, and got told told there wasn't any problems with our line and that it must be a problem with the connection inside the house. I was emailed a set of tips to "Help speed up your connection" - a page I'd already seen when searching the Help section on the BT website. None of them helped speed up the internet. The cable I'm using is the one supplied with my BT homehub, and is one I've tested at other connections with good speeds.

I phoned up again the next day, a woman answered and she emailed me the same set of tips. I informed her that I'd followed all the tips, and that I was still recieving slow speeds. She told me that I was recieving the speeds I was promised, completely disregarded my issue and hung up on me.

I phoned up again the day after that, last Wednesday, and explained my problem yet again. Was told that I don't have an issue, even though I can clearly see it here, and got told that I'd be called by somebody who can further help me. The next day, I recieved a text from BT saying I would be called between 7pm and 9pm that day. No call. Same happened on the friday and again on the saturday. Both friday and saturday I took time off work to recieve the calls that never happened.

On Tuesday this week I phoned up and asked what is happening. They said my case is open and that I'd be called either on Wednesday on Thursday. Yet again, no call.

This is by far the worst customer service I have ever received. Not only am I recieving a tenth of the service I have been paying for and have been guaranteed, nobody in BT is doing anything to rectify the problem.

What do I do now? Who do I call to actually fix this issue rather than avoid it?

Connected to master socket.

This page usually shows a download speed of around 2Mbps - which is never reflected by actual downloads.

14:11:43, 08 Dec.( 86.180000) DSL is up
14:11:42, 08 Dec.( 85.120000) DSL noise margin: 17.00 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
14:11:42, 08 Dec.( 85.050000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 2496 Kbps downstream
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Slow internet speed with appauling customer service. Not sure where to go next

Welcome to the BT community forums. This is where customers help customers and the only BT presence is in the form of the forum moderators. 🙂

The forum members can help, but only if you can providethe information listed below in the remainder of this post. 🙂

* Please enter your phone number into the following checker and post the results. Don't forget that this is a publically viewable forum so do NOT include your phone number when you post the results: http://dslchecker.bt.com

* Run the following speed tester. When the first test completes, click the 'Further Diagnostics' button. In the ADSL/Fibre to the cabinet box, enter your phone number and run the second test. When second test completes, post the results (don't post results from the first test). Note that this test MUST be done with a wired connection: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

What kind of Home Hub do you have?
* If you have a HH3, then go to Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Connection -> Broadband. You may need to click "Show details" to get all the connection details.
* If you have a HH4, you need to go to Troubleshooting -> Event Log -> WAN from the drop down. You are then looking for two lines close together showing last connection time, connection speed and noise margin.

The above does not apply for 3rd party routers, just make sure to post any stats you can access from your router, including connection time (NOT same as router uptime).

The Home Hub interface for the stats required can be found at either http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home (these may not work if you have altered the Home Hub's internal IP to be something different).

Are you connected to the master socket, the test socket behind the master faceplate, or an extension socket?

When you've provided this information, a forum member may be able to assist in your issue. 🙂

0 Ratings
MrAxlee
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Re: Slow internet speed with appauling customer service. Not sure where to go next

Updated post. I'm not really looking for help from members as far as the connection is concerned as everything my end is both working and set up correctly, which I've thoroughly tested, I'm looking for where I can find somebody who can actually resolve this issue from BTs end, as this is completely unnacceptable.

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 19

This is a customer to customer help forum. The moderators of this forum represent BT's presence on this community and they only get involved if the members of this community cannot assist. It may be that this forum community can indeed assist you. If you weren't looking for the members here to help though, then why post a thread complaining about your broadband speeds?

As you can see, you have an estimate of 0.75 to 2.5mbps, with an "Up to" speed of 1mbps. Your connection speed is well within your stated estimates, though your throughput is low. BT would only see a fault if your connection speed was never within the estimate or if throughput was below the acceptable minimum given by BT Wholesale's speed tester (excluding congestion).

ADSL2+ does appear to be available to you, but is more aggressive to any line noise, so if your connection is not stable on ADSL Max, then it will be less stable on ADSL2+. You also appear to be connected to a fibre-enabled cabinet, but has a waiting list, so you wouldn't be able to receive that service.

0 Ratings
MrAxlee
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

I wasn't looking for help from members for technical support, I was looking for who I can call to actually help me resolve this issue.

100kb/s is nowhere near within 0.75mbps, that's still a seventh of what I'm estimated.

Also these numbers do not reflect at all what I was told upon registration. Here is a screenshot of the email I received after registration, that reflected the numbers I was given pre-regestration.

http://puu.sh/lRP5d/9423f262e1.png

If I'm guaranteed a minimum of 1Mbps, then I'm not supposed to go lower than this, let alone a whole tenth below this.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

Was btspeedtester down wired or wireless?

what speed did BT say to expect?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

I think reading this may help. https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Technical-Glossary/td-p/1434070#_TocBits

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 19

@MrAxlee By posting here, it's expected to receive help from the forum community. As i have said multiple times now, there is a BT presence in the form of the forum moderators, but they will not get involved unless the community cannot help and looking at the information provided, there is nothing for them to get involved with, as both your connection and throughput is within the estimates.

Also, I think you are confusing the download speed, which is measured in megaBITS per second, with the transfer rate of files, which is measured in megaBYTES per second. For a download speed of 100kB/s, that is equal to about 800kbps and that matches the kind of speed you are getting.

The link in @imjolly's post above explains it better.

0 Ratings
MrAxlee
Beginner
Message 9 of 19

@imjolly BTspeedtester was done with a wired connection, when all other devices are disconnected. No other programs or downloads were running at the same time.

BT said to expect 1Mb, as shown here in this email - http://puu.sh/lRP5d/9423f262e1.png

100kb/s (100 kiloBITS per second) is not equal to 1 megabit per second.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

As the link I posted and also explained by @SuperSajuuk your download speed shown by is about an eigth of the speed quoted bytes v bits