Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
iWalden92
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Slow internet speed

Hi, I have recently moved from TalkTalk to BT and have found that the Internet is slow and it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. I have the Home Hub 3 which is plugged straight into the test socket behind the face plate of the main telephone socket. I have rung the BT Help desk and they have said that Line Test is normal and that their speed test said I should be getting a download speed of between 2.0 - 2.5 Mbps.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 18:06:37
Downstream:2.5 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.0 dB / 24.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):49.4 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.7 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):101347330 / 56
CRC Events (Down/Up):38996 / 59
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):41732 / 122
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):21438 / 115

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
raymie67
Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Slow internet speed

You need to run the BT speedtester and that shows you the IP profile.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
iWalden92
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

I have ran the test in speedtester.bt.com with the ethernet plugged and homehub wireless turned off(So no other device are connected when running the test)

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 1877 Kbps

0 Kbps2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1877 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 800-2000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :2560 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 9.67:24.26:66.11 (SBE:NBESmiley TongueBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 344 Kbps

0 Kbps448 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 344 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 448 Kbps
0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 4 of 18

So you have a 2mbs connection basically which is in the 2-2.5 range you wanted. Speedtests will give varying outputs less then the max speed you have, if you are sesing really slow speeds then there are linked mentioned on this forum for checking the exchange for contention.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
iWalden92
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Ok, thanks for the response. Smiley Happy

What are CRC Events, HEC Events and Error Secounds that are displayed on the ADSL Line Status page?

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 18

Good explanation here-http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_errors.htm

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 7 of 18

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_errors.htm

iWalden92
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Thanks, should I be concerned with the errors displayed in my ADSL Line Status page?
0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 9 of 18

Does seem a bit high but not sure Suggest you check your filters, makes sure everythibg that needs one has one (although if you are using the test socket then that is the only one) and do a quiet line test 17070 option 2
iWalden92
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Can the quiet line test be done with a cordless phone or do I need to use a wired phone?? Also do I need to unplug the micro filter?
0 Ratings