Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmk24
Contributor
Message 1 of 58

Slow peak speeds :(

Hi folks,

Now having been a BT customer for only a month (previously at my old address I was with Zen) I am starting to regret the choice and am hoping that somehow someone could help me solve my issues.

During peak times (6pm - 11pm) and weekends my download speed and ping latency spike completely and go from 16mb and 30ms to 4mb and 200ms. Now I am not complaining about the 4mb reported speed from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ except I do not believe I am getting anywhere near that figure and by using third party speed testing websites and pinging trusted ip addresses for other results the connection is rendered useless for anything other then twitter and email.

I am connected directly to the home hub 4 that is directly connected to the master socket and i have also tried connecting to the test socket and things did not improve. There is a slight crackle on the landline but my hub reports the noise being from 6db to 7db depending when I reboot the router.

Is there anything I can do? I do not fancy going through the scripted customer service phoneline but is that my only way to get some help or is this deemed acceptable and my Internet is useless in peak hours?

bt.png

bt1.png

Hope you have a good evening

Paul

0 Ratings
57 REPLIES 57
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 58

Re: Slow peak speeds :(

If you try quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2 should hear nothing and best with corded phone. If cordless then dull hum normal. If any crackle the you need to report a phone fault to 151

The hh4 does not provide the normal stats which would have helped in this case

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 58

the noise on the line need fixing first call 151 and report it do not mention broadband in the call your broad band should then improve
0 Ratings
pmk24
Contributor
Message 4 of 58

Cheers for both of your replys, I will report the noise tomorrow and hopefully this could be the cause of the issues as it would be great to finally watch netflix again at night!

Just a curious mind, if the noise is the problem, why would the issues occur only at peak hours?

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 58

It could still be congestion but need to start with good line and check after noise fixed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pmk24
Contributor
Message 6 of 58

Hi all and hope your having a good evening!

ok, so after going through 151 and doing the diagnostics on the line I had found out the handset i was using was a bit dodgy (cable would flex and cause the crackle) so now with a new phone it is clear of any crackles, pauses or gaps.

However i am still experiencing slow internet at the same evening time tonight, I have replaced the filter, nothing else is connected and i am unable to use the connection for anything other then twitter and email 😞

looking through the homehub 4 logs i found

22:20:37, 25 Jul. (258836.110000) ETHoA is up - VPI: 0, VCI:35 22:20:37,

25 Jul. (258836.110000) DSL is up 22:20:36,

25 Jul. (258835.150000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 6.20 dB downstream 22:20:35,

25 Jul. (258834.030000) DSL line rate: 1144 Kbps upstream, 18488 Kbps downstream

any ideas folks?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 58

What about btspeedtester results

0 Ratings
pmk24
Contributor
Message 8 of 58

From Speedtest.net (i understand its a 3rd party site)

7/25/2013 9:27 PM GMT 86.xxx.xxx.x 1.68 Mb/s 0.98 Mb/s 42 ms Bristol < 50 mi

and from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

bt3.pngbt4.png

Thanks,

Paul

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 58

are you doing the speedtest with a wired or wireless connection
0 Ratings
pmk24
Contributor
Message 10 of 58

I am using a wired connection. but i also get the same results by using my phone on the wireless

IMG_0855.jpg

0 Ratings