Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cameerooon
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Slow speed/ Poor connection

We have been BT broadband customers for over three years now, and have been experiencing issues from the start. It has got to the point where the state of the internet connection as gone beyond a joke. At no point in this time have we ever undertaken a speed test that has exceeded 200kbps with an average of arounf 100kbps. However this cannot be correct because at some times the internet connection is quite capable of streaming a video without buffering, holding a stable connection for live gaming and can support other things such as facetime. This is unfortunately a rarity and a whole host of problems blight our connection. These are my observations:

In autumn and winter: the connection is stable 90% of the time, the speed is capable of the things listed above, and we're happy customers.

In spring and summer: The connection is so slow it takes over an hour to buffer a 10 minute video, the router continually disconnects and the broadband light flashes orange for a moment then goes blue, then orange again, etc. nearly everytime the landline phone rings the the internet disconnects. yet one day out of ten its fine, and then the rest of the time its awful. 

This cycle has repeated over the three years we've been customers and these are the following things we have done to try and sort this out:

The issues remain the same after:

Unplugging all other sockets using the internet

trying several different adsl filters

using the test socket

adding a BT booster socket.

But how can it be any of these if they are fine for the other half of the year.

We have also called the BT helpdesk too many times to count. We call up, and despite ringing well over ten times before, are told that they have no record of complaints from us? so we go through the whole process of FAQ's with an overseas call centre (taking at least 20 minutes) before we are referred to a technician who tests the line and tells us there is a fault (despite nobody living local to us having any issues with there internet.) We are then told to wait 24 hours for a phone call detailing a team that will come and fix the line, we wait and there is no call over the next 24 hours. so we ring up again, and guess what? there is no record of us complaining and we go through through the whole process again. This cycle has repeated on so many occassions that there is no point pursuing the issue by phone. My mother works full- time and cannot deal with this appauling service when she has free time, and therefore has given up. I get far too angry when trying to sort this out and end up leaving it as well. 

But today, fighting through the worse intermittent connection in weeks, trying to research something on the internet to no avail, I have decided to write it up on here to see if there is anything i have missed, and if there is anything else that can be done 

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Slow speed/ Poor connection

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

I have removed your duplicate post to avoid any confusion

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Cameerooon
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

ADSL

Line state connected

connection time 0 days, 01:36:39

Downstream 320kbps

upstream 352kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI 0/38

Type PPPoA

Modulation G.992.1 Annex A

latency type interleaved

Noise Margin (Down/Up) 13.3db/ 6.0dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up) 67.2dB/31.5dB

Output power (Down/Up) 0.5dBm/0.7 dBm

1.download speed 0.27 max is 0.5

Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.27 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.37 Mbps

2.Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.34Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

The filter is currently plugged into the test socket, and there is only one other socket in the house, which is unused.

Regarding the quiet line test, i cannot hear anything but, even just ringing that number disconnected the internet for over 5 minutes.

If it helps, as far as im aware we are one of the last houses on our telephone line

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

could you please repost the stats again to include all the errors including those provided when you click on the show more detail button
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

So receiving call disconnects your internet? Does the same happen if you make a call?

Sounds like a high resistence fault and you need to report a phone fault to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Cameerooon
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 14.2 dB / 11.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 61.8 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 1.9 dBm / 1.2 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 4 / 3
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 1 / 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up) 1 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote) 1 / 0

Since I disconnected when I tried the quiet line test my connection information has changed enormously:

Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 00:23:14
Downstream 1,184 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

and yes imjolly it does, around 90% of incoming and outgoing phone calls disconnect the internet, but not every time, also during the months of around october to february this does not happen at all, the connection is stable and uninterrupted.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

You need to report a phone fault and get it fixed. Your stats show a drop in attenuation and a very low power output since the change but until you get the HR fault fixed your connection will continue to drop with the resulting low connection speed

Cameerooon
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

so what does that mean exactly? it is external rather than internal? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

As you are using test socket and it still happens then external

Cameerooon
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Thankyou, I will close the thread if all goes well

0 Ratings